IGNORED

Noobie here needs Fuel pump help!

JRSGTS

I replaced my old (working, but quite elderly) OEM injectors with the Standard Ignition FJ707T, and it ran about the same. (It still had other issues that I corrected.) I've been running those injectors for the past few years with no problem.

The hazard with the old, cleaned up injectors is that they can leak, which of course makes them dangerous.

Wow! Those are pricey! 6X165=990 my cost...Doubt he'll do that. Not sure what brand these were I priced from advance. I do know if they give me any problem they will take them back NP. Maybe I'll try the cleaning first to see if it helps. Fired right up today and drove out of the garage fine, but a little lumpy. Taking the owner for a ride tomorrow. We'll see how much he wants to spend..:)

Wow! Those are pricey! 6X165=990 my cost...Doubt he'll do that. Not sure what brand these were I priced from advance. I do know if they give me any problem they will take them back NP. Maybe I'll try the cleaning first to see if it helps. Fired right up today and drove out of the garage fine, but a little lumpy. Taking the owner for a ride tomorrow. We'll see how much he wants to spend..:)

I got all six Standard brand FJ707T injectors, including shipping, for $165 in 2012. They seem to be a little more than that now (~$29 each + shipping) but you should be able to do way better than $165 each.

Correction: I have the Standard FJ3 injectors. I had forgotten that sscanf had a different part # than I do. The FJ3 injectors are listed for the 280Z. I can't say whether they differ appreciably from the FJ7. I got mine for $150/set off of ebay. You can find the same deal there now:

75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 Datsun 280z Fuel Injectors | eBay

The only incompatibility I found was that the hoses were about 3/4" too short. So I cut them off and clamped on longer hoses (pretty easy).

Edited by FastWoman

Well, looks like he's putting it on hold for a bit....Went for a ride yesterday. It runs OK, but definitely needs more $$ thrown at it. He's kind of tapped for now. It's been a tough winter/holiday season so far. I think this cost a bit more than anticipated. I wish it ran a little better for him. With a little roughness and a leaky exhaust, it sounds pretty poor. He does have a running car when before he had nothing, But he's going to have to wait to do any more...

Thanks so much for EVERYONE'S help here! I'll be back if/when we start back at it again!

JR.

PS. I'll definitely still be stalking around here. Great site!

Final update for now...I knew the owner was bringing it home, but I was not happy with how it was running. I fired it up to mess around with it. Started good but had a roughness that I didn't like. Turned out #2 Injector wasn't plugged in all the way! NICE! smoothed out a lot better! Still sounded like a truck, but hey much better. Went for a ride. WAY better! wanted to fly! Got back to the shop, thought I'd mess with the tuning a bit (Still idled a bit high) Then it starts going away...UGH! Stumbling, lean popping, generally running like crap no matter what I tried! I shut it off in frustration. Tried to restart...Nothing...Dead battery..:) No alternator...I can deal with that..Put the charger on it had 13+ volts running through the system and it runs fine! LOL It was running on low Batt. voltage when I got back from my rip...WHEW!

When the owner came to get it I had the Battery charged up and it ran great! He loved it. Loaded it on the tow dolley running so he'd be able to drive it into his garage..LOL. Said he'll change the alt. and bring it back when he has more $$ :)

Once again, Thanks to everyone!! Couldn't have done it without you. Really great people here! I'll still be stalking around here, so keep in touch! JR.

I think it's great the owner is turning a wrench on the car a bit himself. I have nothing against pro mechanics when you're over your head, but I don't think it's possible to "bond" with an old car without first turning a wrench on it. At the very least, the owner needs to look at the 14.5V reading on the instrument panel and think, "I did that!"

I can't remember whether you replaced the engine harness connectors, but in case you didn't, they're cheap and readily available in the aftermarket. The old ones can be pretty deteriorated.

Happy to have helped you out! :)

Thanks Sarah! Yeah, I'm all for DIY'n it as long as they are not "Cobbers" as they call them around here ;) He's totally capable of an Alt. swap.

As far as the coneectors go,It was just a miss on my part not plugging the damn thing in right..:) He said he'd be back for injectors and exhaust though. That works for me!

• 2 months later...

UPDATE!!! Just saw the owner. He put an Alternator on it, says it still runs great! He was doing some "Body work" Prepping, going to pay someone for a paint job. Says he got a quote of $3K to paint it black! Hell of a price, hope it comes out decent. He's determined to drive it this summer. So he's bringing it back to me for some exhaust ( YAY!) and some electrical work. Needs directional switch, and he wants better tunes. Stay tuned! Should I start a new thread for progress? Missed you guys and ladies ;), hope you all had a good winter! JR.

Hi JR,

Thanks for the update! The EFI Z is a very reliable ride, IMO, once you pound out the decades of neglect from previous owners.

There are articles here... somewhere... about refurbing the directional switch. There's even someone who will do it for you. Post a question in the electrical forum. My advice: In addition to refurbing the directional switch, replace both flasher units (direction and hazard) with electronic ones. It's cheap, and it reduces current draw on these fragile and precious switches. Also consider LED replacement bulbs.

Hi Sarah! Long time..:) Thanks for the tips. The flashers are a great idea I hadn't thought of. Are replacement switch's hard to come by? The owner said he'd get it. I'll also recommend the LED bulbs. Can't wait to get the exhaust on it!

It's good to be back! JR.