IGNORED

Starting a new project...Subaru STI Differential swap into my Z

Hmmm I think I have an R180 with yokes coming out the side rather than the flat flange with 4 studs.

If there are 27 spline and 25 spline versions of this it would make adapting a lot easier.... just change the U joint to join.

So your thinking those axles will just bolt to the Subby diff?

Okay I double checked and yes Madkaw, you are 100% correct, they should just pop in with some persuasion. I just spent 15 minutes trying to see if I could polish the diff cover.. Um… it is going to take some time! :)

But all is well. Found some new bolts and washers and lock washers to install. Just need about 2x as many. Will have to hit up some hardware places for metric CAD plated bolts..

LOL

Dont laugh at me!!

Like I mentioned before - check fitment of stub axle to DS before installing on diff. Make sure the flanges mate up correctly between the DS and stub axle with no gaps. Clean, clean and a little lube so you can pull them back apart for diff install.

I don't understand all this discussion about cutting yokes, disassembling diffs, etc. The side axles and the STI R180 are as close to bolt-in as anything made for the S30. Yes, I had one pair of side axles where the center section was slightly smaller on OD and Steve was the lucky guy to get those. He had a local machinist fix it and IRRC I sent him $30 per his request.

The yoke above has internal splines while side axles require external splines. This ain't rocket science guys. Just put the bolts in the flange, put the side axles in the diff, and swap the front pinion flange.

I don't understand all this discussion about cutting yokes, disassembling diffs, etc. The side axles and the STI R180 are as close to bolt-in as anything made for the S30. Yes, I had one pair of side axles where the center section was slightly smaller on OD and Steve was the lucky guy to get those. He had a local machinist fix it and IRRC I sent him $30 per his request.

The yoke above has internal splines while side axles require external splines. This ain't rocket science guys. Just put the bolts in the flange, put the side axles in the diff, and swap the front pinion flange.

Like John said, a 30$ fix which John took care of, and she bolted up fine.

Not sure where these other ideas are going, John took all the thinking out of the equation:)