IGNORED

Gasoline...

SteveLeBlanc

If you are going to look a lot, drive a little, non-ethanol regular will serve you well. Can usually be found at marinas at a 60-70 cent per gallon more than premium. Do you know if the head was rebuilt for non-leaded gas? If not, there are supplements for that as well.

My 73 came with an owner's manual, it says to use 96 octane. I remember a post about how 70's octane ratings are different from today. It didn't ping with 89 octane until I put a 81 JDM head on it, now it's set up for CA 91 octane, I think it likes Arizona 92 or 93 better though. Could be my imagination. I advance the timing slightly when I'm there. Wish I knew more about timing adjustments for various gasolines.

Maybe a valve job? They'll put better valve seats, and performance should improve.

The lowest we have here in Europe is 92 ( Germany only ) and 95 octane, and the highest 102 octane in Germany also. But I believe the manual says 95 minium. My 71 runs fine on 95...

But maybe they came with lower compression heads in the US, and you can use lower octane fuel... I don't know.

The lowest we have here in Europe is 92 ( Germany only ) and 95 octane, and the highest 102 octane in Germany also. But I believe the manual says 95 minium. My 71 runs fine on 95...

But maybe they came with lower compression heads in the US, and you can use lower octane fuel... I don't know.

Octane is calculated differently in the US and Canada versus Europe. Generally, the numbers over here are 4-5 points lower than those in Europe. (Here's a Wikipedia article that explains the difference.) So, your 92 is comparable to our 87.