IGNORED

Cleaning maf 78 280z

zeenubee

Got the engine started right away after following advice given here...started right up, but rough...replaced fuel pump, cleaned injectors...runs a little better but no throttle response ...feels like it is not getting enough air(?) I do not have enough tech know how to do the multimeter testing at the ecu so thought I would start next step by cleaning the MAF...is this a good way to go? and should I use any special chemicals? I have the Deoxit...mentioned in some of the posts I've read here.

The air flow meter shouldn't be dirty on the inside and even if it was that would affect its function all that much. If you must check it you shuold pop open the cover of the air flow meter circuit and see if the sweep for the potentiometer is worn. But there only way to properly test the Air Flow meter and that is bench testing with a multimeter.

If you are working from a factory service Manuel then it sounds a lot more complicated than it is to do the ecu tests. Us the EFI bible and it's as simple as can be http://www.4moores.com/280z/files/280zfuelinjectionbook.pdf

But if you still want to avoid that then check if timing is off and check if proper fuel pressure, That's 36 psi at idle. I'm also assuming that the spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor have been checked and replaced if needed.

Got the engine started right away after following advice given here...started right up, but rough...replaced fuel pump, cleaned injectors...runs a little better but no throttle response ...feels like it is not getting enough air(?)

When was the last time it ran before you got it? Have you changed the air filter and checked the air inlet for mice nests or other clogs?

When you're driving it, does the engine pop and backfire or does it smell like too much gas?

Sorry about the mixup on MAF and AFM...will check the hoses etc.....the car had not been started in about seven yrs...stored inside, but mice got into it and used the air filter for their restroom...cleaned it, blew it out, new filter,plugs, wires, fluids....starts easily but rough as I said...drove it a little ways and just no power...the exhaust does not seem to be plugged...no smoke, soot, water etc...had to take three runs at a slight hill just to get back in garage....it does not backfire, but sounds like it is just about to...thanks for help....will go thru the whole system with the efi bible and my ignorance and see how far I get....thanks

• 4 weeks later...