IGNORED

Refreshing your windshield washer bottle!

JLPurcell

I made a solution, as mentioned in a thread on this site. The solution is made up of hydrogen Peroxide, Oxi-clean, Glycerin and a little Xanthan Gum to make the solution sticky.

post-7454-1415082573426_thumb.jpg

After mixing the solution I put a cap on the bottom water outlet, and poured it into the bottle. I shook it around and poured it back out. I them brushed the solution onto the exterior of the bottle. The process is reportedly activated by UV light so I put the bottle in the sun. I reapplied the mixture to the exterior from time to time and left it in the sun all day. After cleaning the bottle I made a mixture of the same products with the exception of the xanthan gum and poured it into the bottle about an inch deep when laying on it's side. I put the bottle on it's side in the sun and rotated it every half hour for about 4 hours. Then Cleaned the bottle with soap and water.

post-7454-1415082573548_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150825733791_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150825734886_thumb.jpg

I gathered my parts for assembly. I had already removed the old washer motor from the rubber housing and cleaned and dressed the black rubber housing. I then installed the new washer motor into the old rubber housing. The other parts were a new piece of clear 1/4" washer hose and a reproduction sticker.

post-7454-14150825736081_thumb.jpg

I assembled the bottle and although not NOS it did turn out very presentable and is a vast improvement on the 40 year old washer bottle.;)

post-7454-14150825738832_thumb.jpg

The finished bottle is not as yellow as it looks in the photos. I will try and get some better photos tomorrow in better light.:ermm:

post-7454-14150825736695_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150825737304_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150825738208_thumb.jpg

Jerry,

Nice job on the refresh! Just thought I would mention, for those whose bottles and motors are too far gone, Banzai Motorworks now sell very nice repros

for, I think, $195.

I have no interest in this product, just passing along info to those who aren't farmiliar with the current market of products available from various sources.

Dan

Jerry,

Nice job on the refresh! Just thought I would mention, for those whose bottles and motors are too far gone, Banzai Motorworks now sell very nice repros

for, I think, $195.

I have no interest in this product, just passing along info to those who aren't farmiliar with the current market of products available from various sources.

Dan

Dan, you are correct Banzai Motorworks is selling reproductions for $195.00. That is where the reproduction label and new washer motor came from for my refresh project. I have one of his reproduction washer bottles as well. I have to say that it is nice to have the reproduction available, and I was one of the first to buy one, but I prefer the refreshed bottle. The reason being that with all the effort of an accurate reproduction the plastic in the reproduction is of a different appearance. It is less translucent and has a rough texture. In the spirit of full disclosure, I refreshed a bottle, I purchased a reproduction, and being on the quest for the best my car can be I have just purchased a NOS bottle and forked out the big bucks in the end. But the refresh or the reproduction are viable options. JLP