IGNORED

'73 240Z - The subtractive process...

gtom

such a great clean little car!

Good work.

the interior bits may not save you any weight, but that compressor on the passenger side of the engine probably weighs 40 lbs.

Thanks for the compliment! The previous owner pulled the compressor, so all I did was finish the job. I think he sold it. LOL

Do you still have the emissions air pump shown here? If so, and it works correctly without squeeks and chirps normally associated with noisy bearings and seals,

these could be useful to a restorer concerned with originality. The bearing and seal kits to rebuild these emissions pumps are NLA.

Same thoughts apply to the A/C system also shown in posts which appears to be in very nice condition, another important item, even though it is a

dealer add-on.

Dan

Oh yeah, the air pump. Still have it. The thing has a belt twisted between the body and the pulley and I couldn't get it loose. Kinda knarly looking. So not sure if the bearings are good. But yeah the AC (evaporator assembly?) looks ok. I'll try to have a yard sale soon. All or in part. :)

I think I would upgrade brakes in there somewhere before pretty parts. It is good to be able to go; it's better to be able to stop!

C

Brakes redone by previous owner. Work as they should. But yeah, maybe an upgrade later if the hp jumps significantly. Any suggestions?

There are several lower dollar upgrades. Some very good stickies over at Hybrid Z in the brakes section that are very comprehensive. Then there are some higher dollar upgrades like Wilwoods. The stock drums are evidently very good but I plan to switch to rear disc. The only problems I really ever had with my Z's back when I had one that actually ran was brake fade in the mountains when they got hot. I plan to upgrade to drilled disc with Toyota calipers with 15/16ths master cylinder to start with and may go with vented Toyota calipers if needed.

Charles

such a great clean little car!

Good work.

the interior bits may not save you any weight, but that compressor on the passenger side of the engine probably weighs 40 lbs.

But you're right, that compressor is a significant piece of mass that the car has shed. With it gone, that side of the engine compartment is so spacious and the crank pulley is freed up too. I like that very much! :cool:

There are several lower dollar upgrades. Some very good stickies over at Hybrid Z in the brakes section that are very comprehensive. Then there are some higher dollar upgrades like Wilwoods. The stock drums are evidently very good but I plan to switch to rear disc. The only problems I really ever had with my Z's back when I had one that actually ran was brake fade in the mountains when they got hot. I plan to upgrade to drilled disc with Toyota calipers with 15/16ths master cylinder to start with and may go with vented Toyota calipers if needed.

Charles

Yeah, from what you just said, I've got a feeling that someday, I'll be getting around to the brakes eventually. I think that's a good thing.

Beautiful Z! I'll have to check it out sometime, maybe take that exhaust off your hands... :)

I'm in San Bruno, FWIW.

When can you come by? I'll be taking the exhaust off in the next couple of days before I'm out of the country till next March. I'm in SF, 94118.