IGNORED

1975 280z Turbo in Miami, FL-- Worth it? How much would you offer?

Lantyem

I wouldn't give half that. It looks like they stripped all the paint so it could rust, which is stupid considering these cars already have enough issues with rust. No shifter boot, all the heater controls are gone and have toggle switches there. I figure the drivetrain is worth $500-$700 and the shell is worth $500 so $1500 for an actual cash value. The car would need a paint job and has some obvious sheet metal damage in places. Rust repairs? It is in Miami... Finish the interior. It would take some money to polish this into something presentable. My opinion of course... Go to searchtempest.com and search for 240z or 280z off your zipcode and see what you can buy for $3,000. You can buy a lot more car than that, complete with paint ;)

Charles

I agree with Patcon. I see lots of body patches which means the car had/has a bunch of rust. I'm guessing it looks worse in person. Keep looking and buy the best body you can afford. The mechanical stuff is the easy part. Getting a good body is way more important.

I wouldn't give half that. It looks like they stripped all the paint so it could rust, which is stupid considering these cars already have enough issues with rust. No shifter boot, all the heater controls are gone and have toggle switches there. I figure the drivetrain is worth $500-$700 and the shell is worth $500 so $1500 for an actual cash value. The car would need a paint job and has some obvious sheet metal damage in places. Rust repairs? It is in Miami... Finish the interior. It would take some money to polish this into something presentable. My opinion of course... Go to searchtempest.com and search for 240z or 280z off your zipcode and see what you can buy for $3,000. You can buy a lot more car than that, complete with paint ;)

Charles

Thanks a lot. I will keep that in mind.

There's not enough information in that CL ad to even guess, but there is a lot that raises questions.

I can rebuild an engine "completely" but I wouldn't buy one from myself. Find out who rebuilt the engine, what they did and what new parts were used.

"Transmission does not grind" - he must be used to some real beaters if that's worth noting.

"The car was made to have a vintage look to it" - Distressing the paint job is not a plus.

Find out if it has a ZX Turbo engine management system or if someone cobbled-up the 1975 EFI system to run the turbo engine. It's not the same.

If the rebuild was professionally done by a reputable shop and the interior of the car is in good shape it might be worth a low offer just for the motor.

By the way, what seems to be a fuel cell is really just an old gas tank with a fancy filler cap, I think. In the cabin. Death by burning alive, I wouldn't drive that thing.

1975 Datsun 280z Turbo price reduced!!

Looking to buy a Zcar, I'm not well-versed in pricing. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I'd pass on this one.

What is your Budget for buying a Z? I seriously doubt that you will find a presentable 70-78 Z in Florida for less than $6500.00. Even then it will need your time and money - lots of both.

Hate to say it but - buying a First Generation Z is no longer an inexpensive undertaking here in Florida. Want something that you can get in and drive from one end of the State to the other? Something you could park at a local club meeting or Cars & Coffee and not be ashamed of? You'll spend $16K+, either up front or you'll have that much in it by the time you get it to reliable/presentable condition.

FWIW,

Carl B.