IGNORED

1972 Float Adjustment ...

240Z240Z240Z

On ‎02‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 12:55 PM, Lumens said:

You have gone this far and spent a lot of money with poor results.

I would absolutely install a NEW pair of floats.

where do i purchase a set of new floats and a pair of needle and seats for my 3 screws su carbs? As per the information described one is longer than the other one.

3 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

where do i purchase a set of new floats and a pair of needle and seats for my 3 screws su carbs? As per the information described one is longer than the other one.

Just curious.....did you check fuel bowl level with the clear tube method mentioned in earlier posts?  Not sure why the need for new floats and valves if you haven't.

Dennis

• Like 1

15 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Do they have the rounder tip on the valve, that rides on the float's tang?  I'd like to have some of those to complete a spare set of SUs I don't need.

Not sure what you are talking about, so I think not.  needles look like any other to me.

On ‎02‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:58 AM, siteunseen said:

Once you get the fluid in the clear tube where it needs to be do what Mark has said.  That will get your mixture knobs exact, 1/16" from top of the nozzle. 

Carbs will be good, case closed, move on to other problems if you still have any.

"Put it back together, start it up to be sure the float chamber has been filled to the new float setting and to see if the float level is now correct see post #54 and #56. Mixture screws 2 1/2 turns down the fuel level in the nozzle should be within 1/16" of the top of the nozzle."

Well i found these needle and seat kit on amazon which are different sizes:

Walker kits # 15568 and 15567

https://www.amazon.com/Walker-Products-15568-Carburetor-Kit/dp/B000CLSRR0/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Nissan|67&Model=240Z|2284&Year=1972|1972&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

https://www.amazon.com/Walker-Products-15567-Carburetor-Kit/dp/B000CLN1XK/ref=pd_bxgy_263_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000CLN1XK&pd_rd_r=TDQQXDZ2S5N4F8MNP2G6&pd_rd_w=J4pBT&pd_rd_wg=phsEG&psc=1&refRID=TDQQXDZ2S5N4F8MNP2G6

I spoke to Bruce Palmer yesterday and he told me that due to lack of availability he is installing the same size of needles on both 3 screws su carbs. My target is to be able to set both carbs at 2.5 turns clockwise with the same float level on both. Not 4 turns clockwise on the front and 2.5 turns clockwise on the rear.

Any experience with these Walker kits?  

On 13/2/2018 at 5:10 PM, siteunseen said:

No, no.  The pin or needle on the valve rides on the hump of the metal bracket on the float. The lower the float the longer the pin the more fuel flows in. When the bowl is full of fuel it "floats" the float pushing the pin in; shorter.  Shuts the valve, no fuel enters.

If I had time and patience I could photograph the workings of the float with the needle valve BUT YOU HAVE A DVD THAT EXPLAINS IT ALL.  Please watch it, in slow motion if need be.

I watched it 3 times before I ever turned a screw to rebuild mine. It's all right in front of you, you've got tunnel vision. Nothing you buy will make this simple, it's a tedious task that takes time. You have to get the baseline measurement first, either the clear tube (cheaper) or the sight glasses (not so cheap).

Think this through, write down a plan and stick to it. You are bouncing all over this simple but very important task. Focus on the plan.

To fix a running toilet you simply bend the rod going to the float. Same thing with your carbs. 

Watch the DVD please. I'm getting bored repeating myself. If I want to do that I'll get a girl over here. At least I eat good and get a cold sore. LOL

Is this the correct gap? 20180215_190615.jpg

Turn that assembly upside down and get in front of a mirror. Hold the float with your other hand. Blow into the fuel supply hose barb. When your breathe starts passing through look into the mirror and see where the float is. Bend the tab until the float' roof is parallel with the lid's roof. You will be close. Find something .55" thick and use it between the float and the lid while still using your breathe as fuel to get the float .055" lower than the lid.

I can't be any clearer, that's as simple as I can get without puppets.

You cannot set the float level upside down with the weight of the float against the pin. The newer style valves are very sensitive and will not resist the float's weight at all, period, done.

• Like 4