IGNORED

1972 Float Adjustment ...

240Z240Z240Z

Nope. I'm not surprised. Try shining a light down the nozzle and try to determine how far down the fuel is. You could also try using the small tube from an aerosol can like WD-40 and try using it like a dipstick to determine the depth. One way or another the distance from the float to the lid has got to be reduced.

3 hours ago, David F said:

In the end, the fuel level at the nozzle is the only thing that matters so why not check the level where it matters and forget the other dubious methods.

This right here. The troubleshooting has just been going around and around in the same loop.  

If he had done this from the start he'd have had his car running well over a week ago. LOL   You guys are being real good sports stinking around, kudos.

Carbs look nice and clean though, once you get this all sorted out... should run well!

Edited by DaveR

Ill have to lower it more car is still backfiring and sputtering under 4 turns clockwise. I really dont trust to pressure of this airtex 8012sx fuel pump. In the past when i the pressure was 4.3 psi the fuel filter was always full even after the engine was shut down.

20180306_212118.jpg

IGNORE the fuel filter. The fuel level is fine. Trust me.  I've seen lots of them this way, including mine, which ran fine half full for decades.

IGNORE the backfiring and sputtering. Until the floats are confirmed to be set properly,  set your nozzles back to 2 1/2 turns down. RESIST the temptation to fine tune with the mixture screws until the floats are set.

FOCUS on getting the float level 1/16" below the nozzle tops at 2 1/2 turns down. You can't compensate for a wrong float setting with the mixture screws. It doesn't work. If the fuel level is wrong, it won't be at the needle idle stage and will continue to be off throughout all RPMs.