IGNORED

refurbished and silvered my mirror

nix240z

Charles, I did but not with the setup I showed you. Next time you come over, bring your mirror and we will silver it.

I ordered some Cerium Oxide to see if I could get the glass even cleaner and get a better silver job. Even the littlest scratch effects the silver. I have two more mirrors to strip and silver.

Steve

Steve,

Did you plate this with your setup?

Charles

Caswell has a lot of supplies for the DIY'er the yellow cad that is on many of the Z fasteners and the bright zinc that is on many of the screws and door hardware etc are reproducible with theirs kits and are actual zinc plating not paints like the Eastwood kits are. It is a cool process and the results are really good. I you want a great looking car clean fasteners is the way to go, and like most things it is much cheaper to plate them yourself. nix240z has a cool setup and has plated many things, his car will be museum quality when it is done...

Charles

The worst part of the rear-view mirror is the stupid shaking from vibration going through the car. Even tight, it's still a tiny bit loose in the mount. I think the whole design sucks.

I've never had an issue...

Bryan you can try an old motorcycle trick on the mirror if the vibration is very annoying. Take a small stick on weight, the kind from ceiling fans works well and stick it on the backside of the mirror. Two small pieces on either side will change the harmonics and may move the vibration out of your driving zone (rpm) range. The more weight the higher the harmonics. It's inexpensive and removable but may look a bit strange. Make it the same color as the mirror so it doesn't show up.