IGNORED

ZFuel

superlen

I totally agree with you. It would be a nightmare if you swapped a bunch of stuff around & didn't let anyone know. The next owners would be clueless until they reverse engineered all the changes.

At least if they knew there was a HellFire in it (and naturally they would as it would be a plus for selling your z - I can see the listing now..."Z for sale. - HellFire Equipped" :) ), they could just connect the laptop and it would tell them what was connected where. I reality, I don't expect anyone to flip their stuff around, it's main use is so that someone can hookup something like a MAF and tell it to use either pin 7 (the stock AFM wiper,) or pin 9 (the AFM Reference).

Len

Lenny, I had asked this before, but I don't think you had addressed it yet: Is your Hellfire going to have IACV capabilities? It would take a bit of cobbling to make a stand-alone IACV, but it could certainly be plumbed in place of the fussy old AAR, which I would dearly love to remove from my engine and beat to death with a sledge hammer. (OK, I wouldn't really do that. I'd actually pack it away lovingly in a box.) I don't know whether there would be enough free lines on the ECU connector to do that, but I certainly wouldn't mind there being an extra connector on the box for additional, non-OEM equipment (e.g. O2 sensor, IACV, ignition equipment, A/C clutch input for bumping idle, ???).

Anyway, I would LOVE to have an ECU controlled IACV, instead of all of the current Rube Goldbergery -- AAR, BCDD, and vacuum-solenoid-A/C-throttle-bumping thingie -- none of which works very well.

Sarah,

Yes, the necessary outputs are on the aux connector. Note, it's the same auxiliary connector that ignition will run from, so IAC will only be available on the HellFire Hybrid. I'm planning on ditching my AAR too, but for now will just use my foot assist to warm up & my a/c has a leak so it's never on. We will have to find a suitable IAC solenoid.

However, wideband O2 WILL be available on the classic as it can be connected to the AFM reference wire which we don't need for the AFM. Adding this, and we can autotune/log AFRs. My sensor was suppose to show up last week, but didn't make it here. Maybe today.

Len

Inquiring minds update.

Didn't get much done in the shop this weekend, which was killing me as the weather was perfect. However, I did put up a nice fence around the pool. It went like this...drill hole in concrete, think about acceleration tables, drill hole in concrete, think about AFM calibration, ect. ect.

However, this evening I began cleaning up the virtual dash. The first pass virtual dash was functional and proved the architecture but was very lacking in coolness and polish. (I believe the first pass was shown earlier in the thread) There is still much to do on this part of HellTune, such as full skinability but for now I just created a few simple styles to choose from. Here's an example of what they will look like.

A Grey/Silver one

x433.png

A Gold Skin

sai1.png

A Tan one

iwwl.png

For those interested in how they were created. I first used photoshop to create the image of the dial that I can play with face gradients & bezels. Then I save out the skin (just the dial face with NO number/tickmarks, nothing other than the blank face & bezel) as a .bmp. HellTune then uses the single skin.bmp for all the gauges drawn. Big, small, medium, all the gauges sizes use the same base bitmap, and then I draw whichever sensor ID I want on the face using a gauge definition. The definition defines the number of ticks, min,max, needle color ect.

As I mentioned, it needs a more attention & I have to add more gauge definitions but it works well now and is fun to see work on the bench with the ECU sending me live data.

Note: By exposing the definition in the form of a simple text file, the virtual dash does in fact become somewhat skinnable, although it might be a bit cumbersome & not "WYSIWYG".

Len

Thanks,

Once I get a full screen of them on there, I'll post another pic. For testing I'll have them everywhere & silly things such as three/four methods of airflow prediction MAF, MAP, AFM, Alpha-N. Assuming I don't get confused, it ought to be quite fun.

Len

Willoughby,

There are plans for an Android App, and I have a connector on the pcb to install a Bluetooth module. :D These plans are down the road & won't be on my work radar until the end of the summer at the earliest, but I have thought about it. I have some Android development coming up at work in the near future so when I'm finished with that, I'll start on the HellFire interface then.

Len

Just a quick update.

I had a good morning testing HellFire. After getting some hardware kinks sorted out, I ran the stock system while HellFire ran in a slave mode just monitoring the system but not controlling the injectors. I was able to compare my pulsewidths to the stock system....all looked pretty good.

I then swapped out the stock ECU, plugged in HellFire and it cranked right up and idled nicely. WOOT! WOOT! Actually it idled better than the stock unit as the stock unit is running way rich for some reason. (AFM needs calibrated I'm sure) HellFire ran rich too until I adjusted the numbers on the AFM calibration some.

I was able to run the RPMs up and keep adjusting the AFM calibration curve and after 10 min was able to have a pretty good reving engine. :D There is still a lot of tuning to do & firmware to add for enrichments, but today was a good indication that things were working as they should & I was very happy with the results.

Sadly, the impending 3" of sleet that was falling cut my day short.

Len