IGNORED

First time ever, My car just died

Leon, can you post pics of your setup

To me a crank trigger would be the bees knees

You know, I don't think I've taken any good ones, just progress pics. I'll take some tonight. ;)

For now, here's a progress pic showing the syncronization of the trigger wheel to the engine (sensor offset).

post-19146-14150824003848_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Strange thing happened on my way to the car show this weekend. This was the first time I drove the car since I installed the new ignition module. The car was pinging like crazy. If I was as low rpm in 3rd or 4th just giving it moderate gas would make the engine ping like mad. This had never happened since I recurved my dizzy long before the rally. But the first drive after the new ignition module I get it all over the place

Now, this would seem to indicate that there is significant difference between one ignition module and another. Yet another sign that Mallory quality control seems to be a bit shakey.

Steve,

I've been thinking about this a lot. Is there any chance that you may have unhooked or dislodged one of the timing curve springs when you re-installed the new module? This would represent less force on the advance mechanism causing it to advance too quickly and resulting in the pinging that you are getting.

Just a thought. Otherwise I can't see why the new module would do this unless it was just faulty to begin with (It's Mallory so that could be it) or was installed incorrectly (not likely given that you did the work).

Mike.

I am going to check the timing when I get home hopefully.

It should be 14 ° BTDC at 1000 rpm.

It should be 31 ° BTDC at 2800 rpm.

I will let you know if it shifted. IF that is not it, then I will put some good gas in it, as that 92 may be exasperating the problem. It is already on the ragged edge with 93 octane. That 92 is not doing it any favors....

I recently swapped out my Mallory distributor for a rebuilt stock dizzy from a 1976 280Z. The stock 1976 unit can be used to directly trigger the magnetic pickup on a MSD box. I've thus far been very happy with the results. Other than the MSD box this system should provide OEM reliability and if you go with the programmable MSD box then you should have the flexibility you are looking for. Not as sexy as as trigger wheel setup but performance should be the same or maybe a little better due to the higher voltage and multiple sparks provided by the MSD box. Just my $0.02.

I'm using the stock timing curve because I using this setup on my track car which lives it life between 3000 and 7500 RPM. Solid, stead and reliable 34° of maximum advance is all I care about. If you are looking at the 280Z dizzy you might consider the 75/76 model as it uses a magnetic pickup and when coupled with an MSD box it does not require an extra ignition module as the later model units do. Dave Rebello recommended this setup to me and talked me out of going with a crank trigger system. In his opinion it's the most reliable ignition setup for my application.

Well some interesting news on this topic.

I checked my timing today after doing nothing but replacing the ignition module. I had severe pinging last time I drove it, and no wonder.

At 900 rpm, I was sitting at 21 degrees BTDC!!!!!!!

Again all I did was replace the ignition module on the Mallory. I have no idea why it would effect timing so much. I had it set at 14 BTDC, but just replacing the module the tolerance stack up and module delta equated to 7 degrees more change in timing.

Crazy