How do I take this apart? - Suspension & Steering - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

How do I take this apart?

Featured Replies

What is the name of the metal bracket attached to the balljoint and how the heck do I remove it? Removing the castle nut on top was a pain in the arse, as I couldn't get good leverage, but even with the nut removed, it's stuck there!

post-24522-14150823730726_thumb.jpg

Ball joint shaft is a taper. You need a puller or ball joint separator.

If the ball joint is garbage you can place the tie rod holder so it is straddling the jaws of your vice and just hammer it out. If the ball joint is usable then you really don't have to take it apart.

Chris

FWIW - the part in your hand is called a steering knuckle. If you have both of them off, be sure to keep track of the side they came from as they are a left side and right side item.

  • Author
If the ball joint is garbage you can place the tie rod holder so it is straddling the jaws of your vice and just hammer it out. If the ball joint is usable then you really don't have to take it apart.

Chris

Hammer Time! So, I hit the threaded bolt I presume?

FWIW - the part in your hand is called a steering knuckle. If you have both of them off, be sure to keep track of the side they came from as they are a left side and right side item.

Steering knuckle, thanks! Currently, only the driver side is out, but it's good to know that they aren't mirror parts.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

Yeah, I turned on rage mode and bashed the crap out of that bolt. It was really stuck there solid, but I cam out victorious in the end.

Those suckers can be very stubborn. In the absence of a puller---

To loosen it, I found a couple of good whacks with a hammer on the side of the outer part with its opposite side on a hard surface e.g.(strong vice) can help, and then beat the threaded end.

FWIW

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.