IGNORED

Hot start/heat soak problem - this seems to help

Zed Head

It's hideous, especially compared to some of the nice engine bays shown on this forum. I must decline. There are only three main parts - the ZX fuel rail cooler blower fan (zip-tied at this point in time to my AC system drier bottle on the passenger fender well), the pre-heat hose (similar to that linked in a previous post) with holes that you can't see underneath, and the flexible piece from the ZX cooling system to connect the hose to the blower (probably not necessary). The rest is a fuse holder, some wire, and the timer zip-tied to the steering column. There is room under the fuel rail that is ready-made to slip the tube in to.

The bilge blower I linked to in Post #6, from BGM's suggestion, would probably work as well as the ZX blower. Still a little bulky but probably easier to mount.

• Like 1

The electronics you guys are looking for is a "turbo timer" which lets the ignition on for a few minutes after you turn the key off to allow the engine to (continue to) run and a turbo to spool/cool down. HKS makes 'em, among others - Ebay, $20.

You could easily use it to time a fan rather than the ignition itself after shutdown.

You cuold go one step further and run it through a thermoswitch of some sort (the one in the ZX is set too high at the factory, never cuts the blower in,) so that it only ran for X minutes ONLY if engine was above a certain temp.

An even better solution is to use such a turbo timer to run a massive electric radiator fan capable of clearing ALL the heat out of the engine bay. That's what I did on my Jaguar XKE years ago which had serious heat soak problems after shutdown, often spitting out several pints of coolant on a hot day.

Be warned you need a good strong battery if you're going to run errands and run that shutdown cycle multiple times per day....

Edited by Wade Nelson

I had pondered the turbo timer but discounted it since it was typically a delayed off timer for the ignition, and they appeared to be very expensive (over $100 by a Google search). You're right though, it could be activated with a simple push-button momentary switch, or always working with an ignition circuit..

I'm new to EBay. Looks like the $20 EBay units are all from China or Hong Kong. Worth some more research, for sure.

Edit - I'm not sure any of them run for 20 minutes either. Can't tell. Most of the ads seem to be selling blue or red LED colors as the main feature.

Edit 2 - what kind of timer did you use on the Jag? Was it one of the $20 EBay jobs? They look a little iffy to me.

Edited by Zed Head