IGNORED

New Source for S30 Aluminum Brake Drums

240zdave

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Motorsport Auto may be buying from the same source. They are taking preorders on aluminum drums for the same pricing as Datsunparts.com. Here's the link:

Motorsport! Aluminum Rear Brake Drums, Pair, 70-78 240Z-260Z-280Z - The Z Store! Nissan-Datsun 240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-300ZX(Z31/Z32)-350Z-370Z Parts

After reading the original post on the availability of the aluminum drums, I stumbled across a similar product at MSA. Did not know if they were from the same source or not but guessed that it could be very likely.

In any case I needed a couple of other items from MSA and ordered a set of the drums. Turns out they do not have them yet and as such are back ordered. They told me that it could be 4-8 weeks before they arrive, which is ok with me as I am not in dire need of these. Just trying to source a spare set while they are still available. Will let you know about quality, etc as soon as I receive them.

Mike.

I tried a set of steel drums and they cracked after one session under race conditions. They should only be used for ordinary street driving. I've used the aluminum drums for two decades on the race track and they never warp but do develop radial cracks after about three or four race weekends. They as all brake drums/discs should be constantly inspected if you race at the front.