IGNORED

240z rebuild / restoration right down to the shell

grannyknot

So much metal work in this thread, i know for sure i would have passed on such a big project. I respect what u are doing here man. And i didnt know about the hatch frame draining solution, will have to do the same to mine, thanks for the tip. Im also impressed at how fast you're progressing with it, really wish i could move just as fast.

Let me guess, you dont drink? Or at least not very often? Haha

Anyway, looking good man!

Let me guess, you dont drink? Or at least not very often? Haha

Anyway, looking good man!

Are you kidding? I've been off the wagon for years, I just don't drink until after dinner that way I get a whole day in before I become useless. I have arranged my work so I get 4 months off in the winter and 14 hours a day the rest of the year. It works for me. Thanks for the complement Andreas and all the other kind words from everyone who stumbles onto this thread. A small truth, I have to admit to doing better more complete work knowing that everyones eagle eyes are looking at it. I sometimes cut a few corners like we all do but documenting the rebuild like this really keeps me honest.

I like it.

Zohan, Chas, Bart, and all, I really do appreciate your encouragement. Primmer is done and I think we will do paint on Mon. or Tues., depends on the weather, it's still quite cold here in southern Ont.The paint shop is heated of course but being an old reused barn the winds play havoc blowing dust in through the panels in the ceiling and walls so we have to pick a day with little or no wind before we soak the floor wall and ceiling . I will have some updated pics on this coming Monday.

The colour I have chosen is Jaguar JUC56 (grey/green) single stage. I have to admit that I don't care much for metallic

colours anymore, I still think they can be very beautiful but they are everywhere these days and I love a single stage paint for the advantage of being able to colour sand it and polish without fear of breaking through the clear coat.

Chris

My old cinder block garage was freezing this winter.Same for me waiting for calm weather to paint my z.Shop is right on the ocean very windy really blows thru it.Grannyknot this is absolutely amazing work it will be such a beauty

Just realized I haven't told you guys about the engine, don't mind the valve cover that is going to be refinished

post-26437-14150823386358_thumb.jpg

And here are the carbs with just finished heat shield,post-26437-14150823386597_thumb.jpg

The engine was built by Whitehead Performance here in Ont. and although expensive these guys are the best around here. About all they do Z's, races cars and street cars. The engine has 15,000

kms on it so it's just broken in and I bought it for about a 1/3 the cost of what the same engine would have cost me to build.

F54 block/N42 head, hardened seats, port and polish, unshrouded valves, flat top pistons, C/R of 9.93:1. Mild grind camshaft. Cast aluminum oil pan, lightened alum. flywheel, dual friction clutch, Triples carbs are SK/OER's basically weber clones with a couple of improvements, the most important being an external float level adjustment. I heard the engine and drove in the car that it was in before I bought it and was impressed. Also have a close ratio 5spd tranny and a R200

3.9:1 Diff.

And for those who are interested, Ted had a infected paw for a couples of weeks but he's okay now and back to being the emperor of all he sees,

post-26437-14150823386841_thumb.jpg

post-26437-14150823386115_thumb.jpg

This what we got done before a late winter storm desended,

final primmer,

post-26437-14150823390946_thumb.jpg

Getting ready to shoot colour,

post-26437-14150823391184_thumb.jpg

All dust has been sucked out, floor has been soaked, shop is warm

post-26437-14150823391409_thumb.jpg

And here we go,

post-26437-14150823391858_thumb.jpg

Wait til you see this colour in the sun! I know it looks kinda bland in this pic but if we get some sun in the next few days I'll take a piece of body work outside and take some pics. So far I'm really happy with the colour, it's a single stage poly urethane

understated grey with just a hint of green,

post-26437-14150823392082_thumb.jpg

With any luck we will be shooting the body tomorrow and the shell back into my shop by Thursday.

post-26437-14150823391634_thumb.jpg

Edited by grannyknot