IGNORED

240z rebuild / restoration right down to the shell

grannyknot

Well if I ever get into a situation where I'm dodging frame rails and strut bars it's nice to know that the un-collapsible steering column will already be halfway through my chest and the rest just won't matter much.

Remember back in the 60's/70's when a NASCAR or F1 car crashed badly, the car wasn't in too bad of shape, fixable. The driver, not so good. Well the Z's we love fall right into that category.

But then I also ride motorcycles... safety is subjective.

Chris

Well if I ever get into a situation where I'm dodging frame rails and strut bars it's nice to know that the un-collapsible steering column will already be halfway through my chest and the rest just won't matter much.

Remember back in the 60's/70's when a NASCAR or F1 car crashed badly, the car wasn't in too bad of shape, fixable. The driver, not so good. Well the Z's we love fall right into that category.

But then I also ride motorcycles... safety is subjective.

Chris

FWIW, the factory steering column IS collapsable. ;)

FWIW, the factory steering column IS collapsable. ;)

But in a 1970's version of what is collapsible. When I had my steering column apart this winter the outer column (which looks like the Micheln Man's john thomas) dropped off the work table on to the concrete floor, it rung like bell,

like a solid piece. But, even if it crushed like foam the 1/2" dia. tempered steel steering shaft will be perfectly usable after they pull me off of it.

Leon, just saw your wink. Hope you're joking.

But in a 1970's version of what is collapsible. When I had my steering column apart this winter the outer column (which looks like the Micheln Man's john thomas) dropped off the work table on to the concrete floor, it rung like bell,

like a solid piece. But, even if it crushed like foam the 1/2" dia. tempered steel steering shaft will be perfectly usable after they pull me off of it.

Leon, just saw your wink. Hope you're joking.

I'm going off of the FSM:

The collapsible steering column is designed to be compressed under impact.

I think I have found something that is worst than sanding, gluing vinyl.

Just finished the headliner and header, what a hateful job!

You get like one and half chances to get it right.

Nerve wracking. And you can see from the wrinkles one the DS header I didn't get it right, hopefully the heat of summer will relax that a bit.

post-26437-14150823691455_thumb.jpg

Got the rubber seal and chrome strips on the hatch window and windshield without too much trouble.

post-26437-14150823691755_thumb.jpg

Tried twice to get the hatch glass installed and failed, I thought if I can't handle the back glass I'll never manage the front but it went in about 20 min.

post-26437-14150823691981_thumb.jpg

Once the windshield is in the dash goes in and as soon as the fuel pump switch (oil pressure safety switch) arrives in the mail I can start the engine!

post-26437-14150823692208_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris, You are not alone when you say this work is frustrating. The last head liner I did took me so much time and I was nether completly satisfied with it.

Your project is coming along nicely though. It will give you a good feeling when you start the engine for the first time.

Your at a point where most of us take years to get to, and some give up before they get there. You spent one winter doing a complete resto and I just did the brakes and PU bushings. Just amazing.

Chas

Got the passenger door on, glass in

post-26437-14150823738428_thumb.jpg

Had enough left of the Murder Mat to do the inside of the doors and so the interior door panels never have to be replaced again because of rain I lined it with plastic the way modern cars do.

post-26437-14150823739097_thumb.jpg

The black paper on the inside of the glass was to protect the tinting layer during installation.

I really wanted to put the panel on and finish it off but I think I should wait until the carpets and seats are in so nothing scratches the new panels.

Somewhere on this forum I read about the little trick of wrapping the inner and outer door handle linkages in vinyl or rubber tubing to quiet them down while driving and when closing the door.

When I actually slammed the door after all the fitting was done it was a nice thud, solid sound.

Chas, even though we just had 3 days of ice pellets and snow, spring is here in a big way and that is really pushing me to get the car road worthy.

I tried for a third time to get the hatch glass in with no luck, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, now I'm just going to leave it to the old guy at the local auto glass place. He'll have it in ten min. flat

post-26437-14150823738861_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have spent all the time since my last post fighting with the engine just trying to get it started. If you are interested these threads document it,

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/help-me/49270-did-i-wire-wrong-no-spark.html

and this one,

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/help-me/49271-engine-will-only-run-above-4000-rpm-carbs-timing.html

I have got a few things done, got the Integra seat mounts built and installed, they are so much more comfortable to my back then the original seats.

Chris