IGNORED

240z Inspection Light Source?

ksbeta

If a new lens is needed apparently one can be made by sawing off the bottom rounded end of an empty energy drink tube someone gave me. Unfortunately I don't know the kind of drink it was but I will get that this week from the guy who gave me the empties. The old lens per my measurement is 32.53 MM in DIA and the energy drink tube is 33.78 MM in DIA if I am reading the caliper right. The new lens material can be ground with a bench grinder where the retaining tabs are on the metal body for a tight fit so it won't fall off though there are variations on this idea. One of you may have a better idea on how to captivate the lens that is more like how the original mounted than what I came up with. I plan on sharing anything further on this VIA my blog when I get done with it in case anyone else wants to try this. The old lens shown here and the two engine bay light assemblies came from JY 280ZX's; my car is missing this item. The pictures vary in brightness but were adjusted for maximum readability of the caliper.

Mike

Mike, I think I found the brand.

Dang, I looked up the price of those. It was over $14 for 6. Man, I wish I could coax money out of people's pockets like this. LOL

post-5413-14150822593049_thumb.jpg

Edited by SteveJ

SteveJ,

Thanks! The shape looks right, I still can't remember the brand for sure as I threw away the packaging a couple of months back. I have a nice looking new lens for my engine bay light now, I spent the afternoon finishing the one I started. Had to use a dremel to grind it down and to cut the slots in it. Will have to clean and paint the metal part the ones I have are very dirty. I love making this kind of thing. Heh heh. I have another one I will mail for postage if someone wants to try making a lens. May have more lens making energy drink containers somewhere, thought I had 4 of them.

Mike

These are officially NLA through Courtesy. I just tried to order 2 and they can't get them. Hopefully a manufacturer in Japan will pick these up and start making them again. With so much passion for these cars and plenty of owners its just sad that either parts are truly drying up or they won't ship them from Japan anymore.

These are officially NLA through Courtesy. I just tried to order 2 and they can't get them. Hopefully a manufacturer in Japan will pick these up and start making them again. With so much passion for these cars and plenty of owners its just sad that either parts are truly drying up or they won't ship them from Japan anymore.

My Nissan dealer found one in Japan. He said it was hard to find and he is pretty good at tracking things down. I think whats out there is just old stock. It wont be long until its all gone. Nissan has stopped making them:cry:. This is one of the little gadgets I like about the datsun.

Is there any spray paint that would look anything like the original color for fixing up an old one?

I'm not sure whether the original color was silver or gold, but Easton sells a spray-kit that imitates gold-cadmium plating. Not cheap though, and I think you have to buy three different cans. I have no experience with it.

Yeah, I have always liked these little lights and I kick myself for not picking up a few sooner. Nissan Parts Zone cannnot get them either. Scott from Courtesy wrote me back saying Nissan may bring these back as their maybe a reason for pausing production like a change in materials vendor.

In regards to DIY cad plating, there is a cool looking system that done yellow zinc chromate. Copy Cad® & Zinc Plating Kits - Electroplating & Anodizing - Caswell Inc

Check out the PDFs that are available on the page.