IGNORED

Reproduction S30 parts NLA.......

9teen7t240z

Dennis,

Thanks for the more detailed description. I have a contact in Rialto who owns an original Gnose.....I'll try to contact him this weekend to see if he wants to volunteer his "equipment" as a demo. (LOL)

Mike

Mike,

Just a thought to consider......Demand for the Gnose covers and SS trim is more limited than for the non Gnose Zs. Additionally, there may be problems with fitting the pieces as there have been a few Gnose suppliers in the aftermarket - some probably more true to the original Gnose dimensions than others. On the other hand, just about all headlight nacelles on the "standard" Zs are factory pieces, so cover & trim fit would be more universal for a much larger sales opportunity.

My guess is that many people who have the currently available aftermarket headlight covers that fit within the headlight nacelle would prefer to have the factory type that secure with SS trim if the price was right.

Dennis

Edited by psdenno

Dennis,

Thanks again for your input and thoughts. It seems to me that any SS trim ring that may be reproduced for either the standard or Gnose package would likely have fit issues with the various adaptations of lenses that are currently in use. Why someone would endeavor to reproduce lenses without a trim ring accompaniment that ensures proper fit and appearance is beyond me. To your point, the limited market for either would negate the feasability of trying to reproduce rings that might fit every type of lens currently being made. Accordingly, I think that I am going to concentrate my efforts on producing BOTH the rings and the lenses for the respective cars, following an OEM template.

Does that make sense to everyone........or to nobody? (LOL)

Mike

Does that make sense to everyone........or to nobody? (LOL)

Mike

Hi Mike, It makes sense to me, Id be interested in the standard Z nose covers. I have always wanted them, but have not dared to take the plunge on a 30year old set for 1000 bucks. All plastics deteriorate through UV and age. A repro set wouldnt have that problem.

Chas

Hi Mike, It makes sense to me, Id be interested in the standard Z nose covers. I have always wanted them, but have not dared to take the plunge on a 30year old set for 1000 bucks. All plastics deteriorate through UV and age. A repro set wouldnt have that problem.

Chas

I'm in!

Here is another idea that happens to be very simple in design (thus I assume easy to make in small quantities for low cost).

A properly shaped SU entry (bell mouth) to improve performance... not a less-performing air horn:

47909d1315198755-fredhs6-3.jpg

47908d1315198753-fredhs6-2.jpg

Here is all you can buy in North America:

A Toss Ring DIY!!!

47917d1315198763-ring1.jpg

Datsun SU stacks could be made from aluminum or a resin:

post-7641-14150822012491_thumb.jpg

And of course, the results of testing

59536d1357527064-ram.jpg

post-7641-14150822012746_thumb.jpg

post-7641-14150822012971_thumb.jpg

Phil,

I've never seen a set-up like that before......looks like it could be a performance enhancing part that could be made inexpensively. I just wonder what the demand level would be. Am also thinking that aluminum might be the better choice, for those that like to polish their carbs (like me, for example). Did you design those yourself, or is someone else making them?

Mike

Looks like the Stock Air Horn design on the air cleaner base - is very close to the same 5.2 vs 5.8. The only advantage I see is that you would have more room between the top of the horn and aftermarkt air cleaners. Dyno tests did show a loss of about 4 HP if the stock air cleaner base with air horms was removed.. You gain about 5 HP if the top of the air cleaner and air cleaner filter were removed.

Interesting..

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

Hi Mike,

The aluminum bell mouth photo is from a british site and for a british (non-hitachi) SU. The plastic USA drag racing substitute is made famous by a Z racer named "Norm The 12sec SU Dude"

With respect to the stock SU air horns, I think they are more like #3 in the table of shapes.

Here is the data from Norm's Testing:

"The airbox carb stacks are actually restrictive due to their not being fully radiused. I actually cut them out of my old airbox and tried them under the K&N filters but the car ran about .05 seconds slower than using nothing at all. When I installed these custom stub stacks I actually picked up about .05 seconds in the 1/8 mile."

These are usefull for high rpm & high hp applications.

post-24191-14150822070351_thumb.jpgDon't know if this is helpful but I made a pair of velocity stacks from plastic plumbing parts from the hardware store. The white piece fits and matches carb opening.

However, I never installed these - running MSA stacks in the K&N's that seem to add performance, especially at mid and high rpm, no data to back that up though.

Hi Mike

With respect to the stock SU air horns, I think they are more like #3 in the table of shapes.

I think you are correct - I had to go out the garage to look at them. They have less taper than I was thinking about - stamping the bell out of the mouth makes them look tappered.. they aren't.

K&N also offeres something like them.. see:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/thread20972.html

FWIW,

Carl B.

How about making a right side, side mirror for 280z. They never made one that matches the stock 280z mirror. I spent a lot of time trying to find a door skin. Ended up using another door from the wrecking yard. Roof skins.