IGNORED

The Lime Green Machine Restoration Thread - 1972 240Z

Hardway

I can remember clearly when we received our first Lemon Green 240Z at Valley Datsun in Spokane, Washington. UCK...what the hell is that? We sent it back to the "Detail" shop and told them to do something with it. They DID.

They threw a set of 14x 7 Appliance Wire Mags with 195R70x14 on it. The used Brown and Red over Bright Yellow pin stripping down the body line... Polished and buffed the paint to show quality. We put it on the showroom floor and called the next person on the waiting list... He originally wanted either Silver or Metallic Brown... He saw the Lemon Green 240Z on the showroom floor and changed his mind - that is perfect!!

FWIW,

Carl B

I think its because of the color change under the florescence. In your profile picture its more yellow. In my profile picture its more green.

Put a lime on the hood and a lemon......which comes closest to a match. Just a thought........BTW......it's my favorite color on the Z. Great job HardWay, great thread......

Edited by Diseazd

Put a lime on the hood and a lemon......which comes closest to a match. Just a thought........BTW......it's my favorite color on the Z. Great job HardWay, great thread......

I've always called it 'tennis ball' green. Put a lime, lemon and a tennis ball on the hood and see which is closer. :) Still an 'eye grabbing' color.

Bonzi Lon

Thank you for all the comments and compliments guys. In regards to the name of the color, I think its all about the lighting in which it sits under. In my garage it looks more green under the florescent lights but in the sun it is definitely more yellow. I think Bonzi Lon had a good name for it, Tennis Ball Green. Seems to be very fitting. My wife's grandmother calls it Chartreuse. In all honesty I don't love the color but I don't hate it either. It is different for sure, especially around here. If I still have the car in a few years I plan to tear it down, strip it, and repaint it a nice shade of silver or red.

Thank you for all the comments and compliments guys. In regards to the name of the color, I think its all about the lighting in which it sits under. In my garage it looks more green under the florescent lights but in the sun it is definitely more yellow. I think Bonzi Lon had a good name for it, Tennis Ball Green. Seems to be very fitting. My wife's grandmother calls it Chartreuse. In all honesty I don't love the color but I don't hate it either. It is different for sure, especially around here. If I still have the car in a few years I plan to tear it down, strip it, and repaint it a nice shade of silver or red.

Tennis ball green is OK with me.........anything but lime green.......the color isn't any way, shape or form the dark color of a lime......there...I feel better. Chartreuse or lemon green will get the job done also. So HardWay....could you change your avatar to read: Tennis Ball Green Machine. :ermm:

Edited by Diseazd

I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving. With traveling around for the holiday and making it back home yesterday afternoon I managed to dedicate some time to the Z today.

For starters I wrapped up the front passenger side suspension by installing the TC Rod along with the new hardware pictured. I used the rubber bushing from the AC Delco kit for the rear and the poly bushing from the ES kit for the front. It took longer than I took but you must have the control arm in just the right position to get the lock nut on the threads of the rod. All that is left is cleaning up the line fitting and mounting the new stock style calipers as well as the braided SS brake line but that will come at a later date.

TCRod01.jpg

TCRod02.jpg

Now on to the bigger job at hand, finishing the rust repair on the inner fender. I started with a piece copy paper just to get a rough idea of the shape and size of the opening. Then I moved to using some scrap cardboard to make a more refined template. Finally using some 22ga steel I cut out the template using my air cutoff wheel and dremel tool.

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

I did not have any sanding discs like I thought so this is as far as I got today. My welding job did not come out as good as I wanted but once all the welds are flattened it should look pretty good. Hopefully next weekend I can wrap this up and move on to install the suspension pieces on the driver side.

Got back to work on the Z today. I picked up some more Roloc 2” sanding discs in 40 grit at Harbor Freight. Between those and my angle grinder I got all of the welds flattened. It took much longer than I thought as I had stacked up the welds pretty good. Using the passenger side as a source for a template for a new top piece I utilized a piece of copy paper pressed against the panel piece and ran my finger nail along the edge to crease it. Instant template! I cut it out and then traced it on to a piece of sheet metal and cut the metal out. I flipped the piece over so instead of another passenger side panel I now had one for the driver side. I felt where the metal was raised a little and knew that is where my welds should be. I started with some 5/16 holes in my new panel. Once I verified that was where I wanted my plug welds I drilled them out to 1/4. I proceeded to plug weld the holes, this time keeping my weld buildup to a minimum and flatten the welds down with my sanding discs.

11.jpg

10.jpg

After I flattened the welds I cleaned it really good and shot some rubberized undercoating on to it. Once it dries it should look pretty good and be a mirror image of the passenger side panel.

12.jpg

Now that that rust repair is done I went about mounting the rest of the driver side suspension components. Done for the day.

Newstrut03.jpg