IGNORED

My two swiss S30Z Fairlady Restoration build thread

JDMjunkies.ch

We currently have the best possible spring weather with nice temperatures and blue skies. So Istead of researching the specs of my Z in front of the computer i decided to rather do some physical work in front of my garage. Has been a while since i did some work there . This is how the garage currently looks with no chassis inside :)
P1170020 - Kopie

Got straight to work with removing the springs using my new spring compression tools and some high-tech stuff :)P1170025 - Kopie

The reason why is, because i wanted to do some measurements on the original springs to get some specs which still are missing. You'll see in a following post, once i have all my data. still need to remove the dampers...P1170027 - Kopie

While at the garage i remembered i never actually checked if the second motor is turning so i tested it and it turns brilliantly. Perfect :)P1170026 - Kopie

More to come soon :)

• Like 1

Despite the fact this week was super busy for me, i still managed to get some stuff done and i can't be happier :D
Yesterday i picked up my original Trunk spoiler / Rear wing which i left at R-performance for repair. It took them a bit longer than expected because the aged early kind of fiberglass material was realy weak and brittle so they decided to improve the design a bit by adding a new structure at the ground. here are some work-in-progress pictures i asked them to make for you (my followers): New fiberglass layers beeing added to the bottom:
20160506_095330 - Kopie
20160506_095342 - Kopie

This is how it looks finished once the rest of the fiberglass was cutoff. And i also asked them to replace the sheared off and rusty bolts at the bottom so the made put a complete new set in place, Should be bomb-proof now :)P1170043 - Kopie

This is the fitment now. Much better then before and should last for many years to come :)P1170048 - Kopie

Since i finally got my hazard flasher switch and the Brake light switch i decided to use a few free minutes today to complete my Pedalbox. Had to redrill and tap all th e holes after Powdercoating first
P1170051 - Kopie

Then i installed all the missing bits and pieces.P1170052 - Kopie

And this is how my pedals ended up: Left reworked pedal box and throttle pedal, right the original one from the other car. The one to the left was about the same state before i reworked it. All genuine and NOS or refurbished / Re-plated parts on the left!P1170053 - Kopie

And another shot. Love it. Just needs some adjustment once it's in the car :)
One more thing completed!P1170054 - Kopie

Someone in the DPAN group posted about these shirts with the original "Elephant" Oil filler cap design on it. I loved it and just had to get it. If you want one, get them here:
www.redbubble.com/de/people/pootermobile04/
Great quality and i love the design :)P1170028 - Kopie

P1170029 - Kopie

Yeah this Transmission thing took me a while to figure out. It turns out again there have been plenty of different transmissions and even more possible swaps. But let's start with this: Why do People swap Transmissions? There are three main reasons:
- American guys running lame US-Spec 4-speed Manual or Auto transmissions
- People doing High-power engine swaps where the OEM 5-speed is too weak
- No Spareparts available for the original EU / JPN / AUS Spec 5-Speed
P1080531 - Kopie

Since the FS5C71A seems to be one of the most desireable original early gearboxes of the Z-Chassis (Porsche style "competition" steel synchros, 5-speed and all...) i would like to keep it if possible. But i'll talk about possible swaps and "upgrades" in the next post...
FS5C71A

First a few Facts about the early european / Japan spec 5-speed:
- The FS5C71A was carried over from the Datsun Roadster, but with changed bellhousing, gearing and rear end so it doesn't really have too much in common except the Name.
- The FS5C71A in the Z was used up to late 1971 at least in the USA, but maybe a bit later on EU-cars since i have two early 1972 cars which still came with that box.
- It was sold in the USA As a "competition parts" Option but was standard in most other markets.
- There were different gearing Options available through Nissan Japan, Datsun (competition) USA etc...
- According to some swiss People the original gearbox is nice for 270hp street use.

So what's my desicion?
I'd like to keep my original FS5C71A Gearbox, It's the easiest and cheapest Option, will not ruin the car's value (keeping it "original) and so on.
But what if the gears and synchros are worn out? www.swmotorsport.com.au carry some spareparts but not all of them are available. So my desicion is to open up the original gearbox and have a look. if everything is still nice or fixable i'll do exactly that and keep it. If not i will go for a swap with someething more modern, but still close to the family. you'll see :)

• Like 1

Yesterday after Work i hopped into my car and after i spent some time in the Traffic jam i finally found the Speed-Industries Workshop. Speed industries is a Car-lovers allround business. Tobi and his crew import Cars and parts from Japan and install the parts, organize drift and trackdays in and around switzerland and they do some drift-shows as well. Their workshop is full of goodness, like this AE86 Corolla Levin Hatchback:
P1170055 - Kopie

The only Non-japanese steel at their shop was this BMW. I'm not sure but i guess it's used for some drifting :)P1170056 - Kopie

Keen-eyed readers can see Tw S13's in this picture. one of them also known as the 180SX in other countries:P1170057 - Kopie

And i can't get any more JDM than an R32 Skyline and a JZA80 Supra under the wraps. As i understoud these are customer cars waiting for some maintenance and updates:P1170058 - Kopie

P1170059 - Kopie

At the bottom of t he picture there's a secret upcoming project which i wasn't allow to show you yet :)P1170060 - Kopie

But what did i do there? First of all it was a long time since i met the Owner Tobias, so it was nice to say hello. First time we met was at the RHD owners meeting i organized many years ago :D But the real reason was because they had a S14 (200SX) FS5W71C Transmission for a good deal on sale which i bought for my 240Z Project :)
P1170061 - Kopie

Now last post i wrote about i want to keep my original FS5C71A transmission. Why this now? Well i just bought because it was a good deal and these trannies are not too easy to find these days. So i have it as a Spare-option. If the original transmission is beyond repair i'll use this one (a post about the swap in theory will follow soon). If i can reuse / Repair the original one i already have a friend interrested in this one so after all it was a good backup-opportunity for me which i just couldn't miss. Thanks Tobias for your hospitality!
P1170062 - Kopie

Edited by JDMjunkies.ch

On 5/12/2016 at 1:07 PM, JDMjunkies.ch said:

Someone in the DPAN group posted about these shirts with the original "Elephant" Oil filler cap design on it. I loved it and just had to get it. If you want one, get them here:
www.redbubble.com/de/people/pootermobile04/
Great quality and i love the design :)

This is no kidding. Once I saw a person selling one of those filler caps on Ebay, reading it upside down.

Posted as "original Datsun 710 oil filler cap"

On 5/18/2016 at 0:59 PM, JDMjunkies.ch said:

Yeah this Transmission thing took me a while to figure out. It turns out again there have been plenty of different transmissions and even more possible swaps. But let's start with this: Why do People swap Transmissions? There are three main reasons:
- American guys running lame US-Spec 4-speed Manual or Auto transmissions
- People doing High-power engine swaps where the OEM 5-speed is too weak
- No Spareparts available for the original EU / JPN / AUS Spec 5-Speed
P1080531 - Kopie

Since the FS5C71A seems to be one of the most desireable original early gearboxes of the Z-Chassis (Porsche style "competition" steel synchros, 5-speed and all...) i would like to keep it if possible. But i'll talk about possible swaps and "upgrades" in the next post...
FS5C71A

First a few Facts about the early european / Japan spec 5-speed:
- The FS5C71A was carried over from the Datsun Roadster, but with changed bellhousing, gearing and rear end so it doesn't really have too much in common except the Name.
- The FS5C71A in the Z was used up to late 1971 at least in the USA, but maybe a bit later on EU-cars since i have two early 1972 cars which still came with that box.
- It was sold in the USA As a "competition parts" Option but was standard in most other markets.
- There were different gearing Options available through Nissan Japan, Datsun (competition) USA etc...
- According to some swiss People the original gearbox is nice for 270hp street use.

So what's my desicion?
I'd like to keep my original FS5C71A Gearbox, It's the easiest and cheapest Option, will not ruin the car's value (keeping it "original) and so on.
But what if the gears and synchros are worn out? www.swmotorsport.com.au carry some spareparts but not all of them are available. So my desicion is to open up the original gearbox and have a look. if everything is still nice or fixable i'll do exactly that and keep it. If not i will go for a swap with someething more modern, but still close to the family. you'll see :)

We did not get a 5 speed here in USA a Z car until the 280Z came here in 1975.

What people did here was use the 2000 Roadster 5 speed. Datsun Competition used to sell a kit to convert the Roadster

5 speed to a 240Z.

Nice work I like following this thread. The S14 transmission is different in more ways than you would think.

- You will have to change the bellhousing to match the L seris engjne otherwise it will lean 12 degrees.

- The 200SX had the stubby rear extension. 300ZX and 240SX had the long extension. You will need to re-engjneer the transmission mount and propellor shaft will be far too short. Shortening is always easier.

Most people doing this swap generally go for the 240SX or the 300ZX (Im going with the 300ZX) and use the 71B (4 or 5 speed) bellhousing. The bellhousing will require some minor mods for one selector and front cluster gear clearance. Then shorten the propellor shaft 50mm or find a series I.

The stubby extension has a really strange selector mechanism. For me anyway, Im use to the 71B and the long 71C.

The 71C with an aftermarket shifter feels great. Really clean gear changing. Simple evolution A-B-C and improving over the years.

On ‎21‎.‎05‎.‎2016 at 8:36 PM, Patcon said:

I don't comment in this thread much but I want you to know I enjoy reading it and the pictures are fabulous. I will use them as information for my own build...

Thanks a lot sir, always nice to hear that my effort in posting all These stuff is appreciated :D

On ‎21‎.‎05‎.‎2016 at 10:30 PM, Lumens said:

This is no kidding. Once I saw a person selling one of those filler caps on Ebay, reading it upside down.

Posted as "original Datsun 710 oil filler cap"

Haha yeah, heard about that already. And they never wondered why the elephant was upside-down then? :P

On ‎21‎.‎05‎.‎2016 at 10:35 PM, Lumens said:

We did not get a 5 speed here in USA a Z car until the 280Z came here in 1975.

What people did here was use the 2000 Roadster 5 speed. Datsun Competition used to sell a kit to convert the Roadster

5 speed to a 240Z.

Yeah i know that you never got the 5-speed in the 240Z. I heard that People used to install the older FS5C71A from the Roadster into the Z's but i never heard about a "retrofit Kit" from Nissan? I mean it would make more sense if they just sold the European 5-speed for the Z as a competition product and as far as i know that's what they made. Later on the B-type Transmissions were sold with a "shifter kit" to fit in older Z's but i'll write a post about that soon.

20 hours ago, EuroDat said:

Nice work I like following this thread. The S14 transmission is different in more ways than you would think.

- You will have to change the bellhousing to match the L seris engjne otherwise it will lean 12 degrees.

- The 200SX had the stubby rear extension. 300ZX and 240SX had the long extension. You will need to re-engjneer the transmission mount and propellor shaft will be far too short. Shortening is always easier.

Most people doing this swap generally go for the 240SX or the 300ZX (Im going with the 300ZX) and use the 71B (4 or 5 speed) bellhousing. The bellhousing will require some minor mods for one selector and front cluster gear clearance. Then shorten the propellor shaft 50mm or find a series I.

The stubby extension has a really strange selector mechanism. For me anyway, Im use to the 71B and the long 71C.

The 71C with an aftermarket shifter feels great. Really clean gear changing. Simple evolution A-B-C and improving over the years.

Hi Mate, thanks for your Feedback. I know the difficulties, but since it was a great deal i decided to hop in. And i already got an interrested guy in this Transmission so i thought i buy it and see if i can use it, if not i sell it to the other guy :) I'm pretty sure yet i will not end up using the S14 Transmission but i didn't want to miss a good opportunity. Anyhow i'll write a post about the swaps soon. have to Research a few things first.Thanks for your  Inputs - allways appreciate anybodies thoughts :D

11 hours ago, JDMjunkies.ch said:

I'm pretty sure yet i will not end up using the S14 Transmission but i didn't want to miss a good opportunity.

Yer, I know what you mean. I have a garage full of good opportunities;).

Looking at your photo on my computer (intstead of tablet) it looks like a long extension or maybe the one that is 30mm shorter.

Here is a photo of the long one and very short 71C extension. The extension housing comes in three different (2wd) lengths that I know of, The very short is 750mm, middle 860mm and the long is 890mm total length. From what I have found and discovered first hand Im sure there are more variations of the 71C than the F**W71A & B combined. And Im not talking about ratio's.

Chas

71C long-short extension.JPG

Edited by EuroDat

On 23.5.2016 at 7:05 PM, EuroDat said:

Yer, I know what you mean. I have a garage full of good opportunities;).

Looking at your photo on my computer (intstead of tablet) it looks like a long extension or maybe the one that is 30mm shorter.

Here is a photo of the long one and very short 71C extension. The extension housing comes in three different (2wd) lengths that I know of, The very short is 750mm, middle 860mm and the long is 890mm total length. From what I have found and discovered first hand Im sure there are more variations of the 71C than the F**W71A & B combined. And Im not talking about ratio's.

Chas

Hi Chas, t hanks for the info, i will write about the transmission opportunities i have soon and compare them all. i know what you're taling about. Nissan used probably the same three types of brakes and transmission in about 50 different configurations in all kind of cars :)

Last weekend i checked out the super-cool Japanclassic.ch meeting, switzerlands biggest meeting for japanese classics, check out the pictures and story here...
http://www.jdmjunkies.ch/wordpress/2016-05-23/event-japaner-young-oldtimer-meeting-bleienbach-2016/

P1170084-Kopie.jpg

So lately, i've been working a lot on the underbody parts.. But i'm still not sure about a few things which seem to be tricky to find out. I'm sure i will get my results :) Anyhow, measuring is always better then reading, i thought so i bought myself a huge-arse 58mm spanner to open up the strut housing of my second car..
P1170069 - Kopie

The reason was of course to see what was inside.. so far my two cars came with:
Car one: Tokico shocks front, Monroe (Belgium) rear
Car two: unknown front, KYB rear
P1170070 - Kopie

Inside i found this. First a bit of head scratching.. The design and pattern looked familiar but there was no name stamped on it...
P1170073 - Kopie

A bit of googling revealed that these were Monroe (USA) replacement shocks. The design is similar to the monroe rear's from Car one, but these were stamped with "Monroe" and "made in Belgium" while the ones here are stamped with "Made in USA". Here is a Comparison Pic of a Monroe MC-952 (probably from a different car).
$_57 - Kopie

Well and then i got a delivery of a spindle lock set which i ordered a while ago from zcardepot.    P1170074 - Kopie

And today i had another package in the mailboc: A set of custom made braided steel brake lines with Rubber insulation to look a bit more OEM. From Left to right:
OEM Front brake line, 2x custom made steel front brake lines, Fastener kit, 2x custom made rear brake lines, OEM-replica rear brake line (i sent them for reference) and then the most important part: Homologation documents for my car. Which means i can run these brake lines totally legal on my car. Yikes!
P1170158 - Kopie