IGNORED

Looking for inner fender wiring grommets

Stevie P

Steve,

Are you referring to the openings in the radiator support where the wiring harness comes out into the grill area? If so, I don't think there is a "grommet" for those edges. I took some small i.d. vacuum hose, split it lengthwise, glued it to the edges to form a protective grommet. Pics available if this is your subject area.

Jim

Hey Jim

Not into grill area, inner fender, parallel to outside fender, if you were to take out the fender turn repeater, looked straight into the hole, you would see the grommet I mean, it's sort of funnel shaped, with the spout turning downward.

Make sense?

Steve

I know the ones you mean. The north american later 280's (77 and up? I think?) that I've seen have the side marker lights (turn repeaters to you!) and headlight wiring entering the engine bay through holes on the inner fenders, just on the engine side of the rad support, above the frame rails. None of this silly earlier way of running wires from the wheel wells down and under the car and up into the front of the rad area, all exposed to the road! We're talking true refinement here that actually had a hint of water proofing at the connectors as well! Luxury!

I've never seen a supplier of these grommets. They are trapped on the harness and are originally applied as the harness was being constructed. No fun to replace even if you had replacements.

Hey! They are almost the size and look of throttle rod rubber boots at the firewall, maybe they could be pressed into service? These are available as repo's. Same basic funnel shape.

Edited by zKars

• 10 years later...
On 10/22/2012 at 4:55 PM, jfa.series1 said:

Steve,

I see you are driving a 280Z. No such beastie on my 240, must be a design change/improvement for your later model car, possibly due to bumper revisions.

Jim

On 10/23/2012 at 10:51 AM, zKars said:

I know the ones you mean. The north American later 280's that I've seen have the side marker lights (turn repeaters to you!)

There are only clearance lamps on the fenders, not turn repeaters, unless you re-wire or add something to make them flash with the turn signal lamps.  Lets us know if you have a working solution.

On 10/22/2012 at 4:21 PM, Stevie P said:

Hey Jim

Not into grill area, inner fender, parallel to outside fender, if you were to take out the fender turn repeater, looked straight into the hole, you would see the grommet I mean, it's sort of funnel shaped, with the spout turning downward.

Make sense?

Steve

Those are robber strain relief-sleeves that are supposed to keep the wires from being cut and the water out of the frame rails, but as all the rubber parts exposed to the elements, they dry out  and fall apart.