IGNORED

Gas Tank Rust

bhermes

I have one hose that goes from the tank to the pump which is about 6-7 inches long and shaped somewhat like an "L". This hose is bigger than the ones that come with the G3 filter. Not sure if one is .5 inch (1.27cm) and the other is 3/8 inches. I think the larger hose will work with a good clamp but a little concerned and before I begin putting this back together would like to know for sure. It will be much easier to put the smaller hose on (if I am going to use it) before installing the tank. Some posts talk about heating up the smaller hose and forcing onto the tank. I am concerned that this will never come off after installed.

Just looking through the tech tips again and it says that the current hose is actually 10mm and works well with the G3 fittings. Unless I here otherwise I will not use the 3/8" hose that comes with the filter and use the existing hose. It does appear a little loose but I will try and clamp down and see what happens. I did notice another short larger lip on the filter fitting and if I slid the tube all the way up the fitting it does fit better but not much to clamp onto. I guess reinstallation begins.

I think you'll be fine. I don't remember installing that being a pain in the butt and I don't use anything but the filter, not those short hoses or those cheap clamps. Red Kote says when you can't smell the fumes it's cured. But a good baking on a sunny day with the holes all opened up would be good, you don't want to do it again. That's the good thing about those filters, if it's not fully cured I think you'd see reddish gas in it right away before it went through the pump and into your fuel system. You could pull the hose off the filter under the hood and let it run in to a clear jar for a few seconds just to make sure before it goes farther.

Ok, before I put on one more hose on just to remove it again; any suggestions on getting the fill tube back on the tank. I am affraid to pull it all the way through and install on tank and not be able to feed back up properly. There appear to be a couple stiffining rings on the tube and I can just not get it back on the tank. Thoughts. Thought about applying some heat but not sure if that will help.

Any thoughts or past experience.

bhermes,

I put my tank back on this summer and had the same problem but I had a new flexible filler hose which let me stick it on the tank with the radiator clamp looking thing loose at the tank. Then I pushed it up through the filler hose hole folding it over to go through however if yours is stiff I would say heat is the only thing that would have worked for me anyway in that situation if I had used the old stiff filler hose. Odd thing about the heat that I experienced, when used on my old stiff rock hard filler hose to remove it after the heat was applied the filler hose stayed flexible for quite some time even after it cooled off. Meaning you could take the time to heat a fair sized area and not lose flexibility for hours giving you time to work with it. I used a heat gun for use with heat shrink tubing. I know it gets a lot hotter (400 degrees F I think?) than a hair dryer, I don't know if that matters but if you get flexibility with a hair dryer that should be hot enough. Anyone else use a hair dryer?

Mike

All back together; including G3 filter between the tank and pump and the fuel filter in engine bay installed right side up. Hardest part of the whole jump was getting the fill tube back on the tank. Actually harder than acid washing and red kote coating. I will be putting gas in soon and see if all is well.

Thanks to all for the help I dont beleive I would have even tried without this group.

Next step is to begin getting ready to paint. I know that it is probably not the smartest thing to do without experience but the reason I bought the car was to learn as much as possible about restoration. I am sure I will be looking for adivce on this matter soon.