IGNORED

HOW TO READ A VACUUM GAUGE in 30 secs or less

Wade Nelson

Here's a great tutorial; take you 2 minutes or less to view the whole thing.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

Vaccum readings will give you a very good indication of the mechanical condition of an engine, the rings, valves, etc.

You can attach a vacuum gauge and have a reading in 30 seconds or less.

These days reading a vacuum gauge has become a lost art, which is a shame, because doing it FIRST can save you a lot of time chasing in the wrong direction. It's fast, and easy, and with tutorials like this you no longer even have to memorize all the different possible reading scenarios.

My 1962 Olds Starfire had a vacuum gauge mounted from the factory, on the center console. Owner's manual included instructions for readings. All the mechanics in the garages used vacuum gauges in the 50's - it was one of the first things they reached for when they had engine problems. I don't see them used so much anymore..

FWIW,

Carl B.

My 1962 Olds Starfire had a vacuum gauge mounted from the factory, on the center console. Owner's manual included instructions for readings. All the mechanics in the garages used vacuum gauges in the 50's - it was one of the first things they reached for when they had engine problems. I don't see them used so much anymore..

FWIW,

Carl B.

I like that write up, pretty good stuff there.

I see alot of info about using with carburetors, does this work with fuel injection also?

Yes. Vacuum is vacuum. How the car fuels itself doesn't affect MANIFOLD vacuum, only the pumping action (or inaction) of the motor.

And, as another thread points out so clearly, if you live at 9000', you're going to show a lot less vacuum than the guys @ sea level. 1" per thousand feet, appx.

I actually have a VAC gauge on my car and know how to read it, along with mechanical fule pressure, temp, and oil pressure gauges. I put a pressure switch on the oil pressure gauge line to the lights on the gauges, if they go out it means there is an oiling problem. Must watch the 40 year old mill closely to prevent problems.