IGNORED

What is the most stock-sounding exhaust?

kjohnson2444

But don't you have to cut the opening in the lower rear panel - wider - to mount the side by side? I would think that kind of limits the market for it.

FWIW,

Carl B.

No, it mounts vertically, like an Ansa, although I like the look of the Ansa angled tips much better. Here is a photo from the ebay ad that shows the top mounting point on the right side of the picture.

-Mike

post-9102-14150820568734_thumb.jpg

Ok as a new Z owner, I'm still learning things most of you learned long ago. I had tried to order OEM mufflers through a website that listed listed them as available. This morning I received a cancelation notice as the parts are NO LONGER AVAILABLE through Nissan.

I had hopes since Nissan still listed the part numbers in their dealer network.

That said, my 71 series I has a single rear mounted glass pack on a 2" pipe. The exhaust note is bad enough on acceleration but is also objectionable at steady speeds. A local muffler shop is willing to work with me, installing a front resonator first and then replacing the muffler if required. He asked if I had any specs/dimensions on the first muffler.

So this time I'm coming to the old hands first.

Does anyone have any specs on the OEM system? Diameters? Length? etc

Thanks in advance.

The center resonator is oval shaped 3.5" high x 6" wide x 11" long

The inlet to the resonator is connected directly to the header pipe - and it is offset to the Right as you face the inlet. The outlet is also offset to the right as you look at the face {engine side} of the resonator.

The rear muffler is 13 3/4" long x 6 5/8's diameter round. The inlet is offset to the bottom and the outlet is offset near the top.

The pipes seem to be about 1 7/8's inch.

I have a complete NOS exhaust system - maybe tomorrow I'll run over to the local Midas Shop and see if they have anything close. Midas used to have the spec.'s to custom bend the pipes, and they used to stock pre-bend header pipes. Of course NAPA/Walker used to stock OEM quality replacements as well - - but not longer.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Thanks Carl,

I tried to estimate the dimensions from a few pictures on this forum and from the service manual and kept coming up with a variety of different numbers. Your numbers appear to be for Z's manufactured before Aug 73 which is exactly what I needed.

The inlet to the resonator is connected directly to the header pipe - and it is offset to the Right as you face the inlet. The outlet is also offset to the right as you look at the face {engine side} of the resonator.

Oops...I must have been looking at that center section up-side down. The inlet and outlet on the resonator are actually offset to the Left side - not the right as written above.

I am working with Walker Muffler Technical Support - we'll see what they say. I'll also check a few other Muffler Manufacturers. Finding replacements that are pretty close to original in terms of form and fit shouldn't be impossible.

FWIW,

Carl B.

OK - trying to find a rear muffler that is pretty close to OEM.. I took my NOS parts to a few Muffler Shops in the area..

The Local Independently Owned Muffer Shop

Muffler $66.31 6" round, Offset inlet/outlet about 11" long {OEM Is 13 1/2 inch long)

Resonator $109.99 - This is a Flowmaster but just about the same size as OEM - only a bit thicker

Pipe $29.95 Custom Bent

Labor $80.00

Sales Tax $20.04

$306.29

Walker Technical Support responed that their Part Number 22659 was as close as they could come. It is 6" round with offset 1 7/8's inch inlet/outlet. Only it is 16" shell length - were OEM was 13 1/2 inch. Don't know if that will fit - I'll have to go look at my White Z .. the Walker 22659 is available from Advanced Auto Parts for $99.95. The Flowmaster Resonator is $104.95 from Advanced..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

Ok, just got back from the muffler shop. The cars a purchased had a single, glass pack muffler 3" diameter by 18" length mounted in the rear position. The drone at 40-50 mph was driving me crazy. So I had the shop install a front resonator 3" diameter by 11" length, glass packed, and a rear muffler 6" diameter by 16" in length. Exhaust was finished off with a chrome tip from the old system. I also had them install a clamped joint between the two so I could remove the exhaust to work on the rear suspension.

I have no reference to judge by but the result is satisfactory to me. As was the bill at $175. Sorry, don't know what brand was used.

Edited by djwarner

Dale:

Sounds like your all set. Price looks very competitive as well. When I owned a Muffler shop that system would have been about $80.00, but that was 30 years ago. LOL

In researching this subject - I see that the rear muffler for the 90-97 MX5 Miata is 7" Round, 14" Long and has 2" offset inlet/outlet. AP Muffler Number 700320

That is only 1/2" longer than OEM, but 1" larger in Dia. I'll have to cut a 7" circle out of cardboard to see it that would fit.

82-86 Nissan Stanza 82-86 - 7" Round, 13" long with 1 3/4" offset in/out also looks like it would fit AP Muffler 70070.

With NOS Rear Mufflers selling for $400+ on EBay - For people that want to keep a stock looking and sounding setup -it would be good to know what can be used. The exhaust system on my White 72 is still the original one. Amazing that it lasted 40 years - but it is getting thin... I have NOS parts, but they will most likey go on fully restored Z's - not my driver.

Now if I can just find a replacement for the OEM resonator -

FWIW,

Carl B.