CAn you clean an O2 sensor? - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

CAn you clean an O2 sensor?

Featured Replies

I am putting in a new engine and before I reinstall my O2 sensor I would like to clean all the carbon deposits off it. Is there a safe way to do this without damaging the element?

Eventually the coating on the elements wears thin. It's best to replace them with an OEM quality (or OEM direct replacement) unit. You'll also find that if one has gone bad, the others are close behind.

I just replaced the 4 O2 sensors in my son's Eclipse...at $75 each. But the engine does run better/smoother.

Edited by Gary in NJ

Recommendation: Spend the $20 or so RockAuto charges for a brand new 02 sensor. You'll save MORE than that in gas over the coming 5 years. 02 sensors "get tired" and don't respond as quickly to rich/lean changes.

  • Author

I should probably mention, my car is NOT fuel injected. I use an O2 sensor to tune my carbs the 20th century way. I have no reason to think the one I have was bad, but it is sooty, and I wanted to ensure it was ready for some heavy tuning with a new engine with triple Webers

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Ok Zed, but you throw ONE MORE trick question at me and I'll boot you off this forum! ;)

Ya know, I've got this little voltmeter-like thingey that hooks right to an 02 sensor... very similar to THIS

http://www.getme-tools.co.uk/shop/index.php/diagnostics/testers-meters/oxygen-sensor-tester-and-simulator.html

I've actually driven several vehicles around with it attached and it's quite interesting to watch... until you hit a tree!

post-26864-14150819743247_thumb.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.