IGNORED

CAn you clean an O2 sensor?

Zedyone_kenobi

Eventually the coating on the elements wears thin. It's best to replace them with an OEM quality (or OEM direct replacement) unit. You'll also find that if one has gone bad, the others are close behind.

I just replaced the 4 O2 sensors in my son's Eclipse...at $75 each. But the engine does run better/smoother.

Edited by Gary in NJ

I should probably mention, my car is NOT fuel injected. I use an O2 sensor to tune my carbs the 20th century way. I have no reason to think the one I have was bad, but it is sooty, and I wanted to ensure it was ready for some heavy tuning with a new engine with triple Webers

Ok Zed, but you throw ONE MORE trick question at me and I'll boot you off this forum! ;)

Ya know, I've got this little voltmeter-like thingey that hooks right to an 02 sensor... very similar to THIS

http://www.getme-tools.co.uk/shop/index.php/diagnostics/testers-meters/oxygen-sensor-tester-and-simulator.html

I've actually driven several vehicles around with it attached and it's quite interesting to watch... until you hit a tree!

post-26864-14150819743247_thumb.jpg