IGNORED

71 240Z turn signal issues and a few other problems.

rubrbulits

Before I sent my Z to the bodyshop I pulled the dashboard to fix some cracks in it. I then re-installed it and replaced all of the gauge bulbs and made sure everything worked before sending it to the shop to get straightened out and painted. The headlights, turnsignals front and rear, marker lights, brake lights, reverse lights, dash lights, hazard lights, running lights, interior lights, EVERYTHING WORKED! Of course I re-removed all exterior lights for the body guy before he got it. Now that I have the car back, I have been re-assembling it. A few days ago I had all of the exterior lights re-installed and working fine. Just last night I noticed the turn signals stop working completely. Also no brake lights and no dash lights "gauges only". Headlights, dim and brite worked fine, hazard lights worked, running lights and marker lights all good. After I read numerous threads on this issue, I did all of the first checks, all fuses new, correct, and tested. All bulbs, and I mean every single one is new. I checked for broken wires in the column and on the signal switch. All good. I read that the hazard switch on these early Z's can cause these issues, so I pulled it and carefully took it apart, cleaned, re-assembled, and now I have brake lights! I also have turn signals....kind of. Now, when the key is in the run position the right green arrow is always on. If I signal left it blinks fast and both green arrows light up and all correct left signal lights flash fast. If I signal right the green arrow flashes at the normal speed and the right side exterior lights flash at normal speed. Also my gauge lights still dont work, and I checked the dimmer dial thing by the way. Could all of these things be related to the hazard switch? And whats with the green arrow staying lit, fast left side, slower right side. Any ideas? Thanks.

I agree with the horseman. I just went through something similar. When things DID work properly, it may have been because your running lights were temporarily grounding to the body. I made a pigtail (basically a "y") that grounded the taillight to the body on the rear left side (there are two captured nuts on the inner panel that you can screw to) and let the black wire continue on where it originally went. That way you do not have to cut the harness anywhere. As long as your inner plastic panels are still out, the is a very simple and quick procedure, so if it doesn't work, you haven't lost much.

Oh and I concur with the avatar-now more than ever.

Edited by tlorber