IGNORED

Off To The Body Shop

mmagnus

Well, finally after 1 year of waiting for the body shop of my choice to fit me in, he finally called me. Which is just as well because it took me about that long to strip all of the components off the car.Last week it was towed to one shop that does all of the sand blasting. See attached photo's. Now its going to be at the custom paint shop for about three months. I was really glad to see there was no bondo on the car and the rust was minimal that needed repair. The only real surprise was that one of the headlight buckets was fiberglass. No big deal. Overall the body is in really good shape for being 32 years old. What you see below is the car as bare metal. No primer yet. There are more photos of the work under my galleries. Couldnt figure out how to post more than one attachement here

Mark

post-1383-14150792395065_thumb.jpg

Color is one of those things that is really bothering me.

I see so many Z's that look good in all different colors. My main thoght on color is keep the car looking vintage. I am not the type of person that would paint a 30 year old sports car some pearl paint from Acura or some other late model car that wouldnt of existed in the early 70's. At this moment, Silver is probably my number one choice. I think sports cars from the sixties and seventies looked great in Silver. Especially the old Porsches and Ferrari's. I have seen this car in a high quality silver paint job and it really adds a lot of class to the car.

Thats just my opinion which I am sure many would disagree with.

Yes, they were plastic on the early "HLS30" USA / North American market version too.

Interestingly, there does not seem to be a reliable cut-off date or changeover VIN number for them suddenly becoming steel. Some people have tried to identify when this switch happened, but I think it was more chaotic than a simple switchover from plastic to steel. I have experience of cars with one side plastic and one side steel that definitely came from the factory that way. Seems they might have used both for a little while during the changeover period. Its another one of those funny little anomalies that sounds most unlike the Japanese character.................

I'm with you all the way with regard to your sentiments on colours for these cars. I too think Silver looks just fantastic on a good straight and bodily stock early car. Hope yours turns out just how you want it to.

Good luck with it,

Alan T.

Mmagnus, Alan,

As far as the fiberglass headlight buckets go, I have seen cars built through 2/71 (American market) having both 'glass buckets. My car has a build date of 1/71 and I had a parts car w/ a date of 2/71. Unfortunately, the glass buckets are getting hard to find, just ask our great Adminstrator, Mike. That's why I'm keeping the 2 sets of broken ones, just practice my fiberglass techniques.

As far as color choices, I like the 905 Red on my car. Looks absolutely great (and bright) when clean and shiney out in the bright sun. I also think the early Z's are about the only production vehicle to ever really look good in yellow. And I have to agree with you guys that Silver is definitely a good choice for a 240. I don't think the orange or brown were ever good color for these cars. Personal opinion, though.....

bonniec75209, that is actually before primer. What you see in the picture is bare metal. I was really pleased to see the body so strait without any bondo. Thanks for the complement. I will be posting more pix as 3 month process continues.... Cant wait to write this check

:ermm:

kmack, I agree with your statement regarding color. I think there are a few cars that look great in yellow. The 240 Z is definately one of them. I do however think the Z is one of the few cars that looks great in Orange. Even though there is a new resurgence from auto makers using yellow and orange, I think they definately give the car a vintage feel about them.

Wow, that is amazing!!! (I have got to get a new pair of reading glasses). Mine sure didn't look anywhere near that nice when it was in that state. Due to very bad body work I have to go through all that again. (After I get the suspension lined out right). It has rust popping out all over it and it looks awful. You are right to wait and get someone who knows what they are doing and that will do it right the first time.

Originally posted by mmagnus

Well, finally after 1 year of waiting for the body shop of my choice to fit me in, he finally called me.

Mark

Glad to hear your project is moving forward. Now, how about sharing the name of the body shop that you chose, and the reasons for choosing them. There are more than a few of us in the Bay Area that would like to know who they can take their car to for a Quality job. I'm assuming tht you chose them for a "Quality" job and not a Maaco quicky ;)