IGNORED

71' Refresher project starts

grnsky

What year is the 71B you are planning to use? They don't all have the same ratios. The one most prefer is the later 280ZX n/a.

If you go back to the 71B than you should at least buy a bushing kit for the shifter. They dont cost much and if improved mine a LOT. It was like "a stick in the mud" before I did it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I have an 82 N/a box that needs some new seals, before I swap it out. However the T5, shifts well (without warm up period), so will be put on the back burner for the time being.

I pulled some seats from a 2+2 from the junk yard this weekend. Came to $19 each, with the half price day sale. I swapped out the rails, and put the drivers side in. Will work on the passenger side tomorrow. Much more comfortable. Happy with the results.

New tires were also mounted on the front, waiting on the rears.

post-22306-14150826735825_thumb.jpg

those seats are a big improvement on the old white one you had in the first posts. Look neat and clean and a bargin too:cool:

The 82 had the close ratio gearbox. First will be a lot higher than the T5 your running now.

First gear is 3.06 compared to 3.5 in the T5 and 5th are almost the same at 0.75 and 0.78 in the T5.

Im using an late 81 ZX 71B tranny and clutch with the R200 diff out of the same car. That compensates a bit for the hight first gear. The car is not a daily driver and not used for long highway trips. I like the combo.

Do you know the ratio in the LSD? The LSD is not standard, so the centre is most probably out of the 300ZX.

Chas

Edited by EuroDat

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Its been a bit of a hiatus for the Z. The fuel tank is getting boiled and baffled. MSA down pipe also being installed, and some other fuel system upgrades (Fuel rail, Supra injectors, 044 fuel pump, FPR, etc). Will look to install this Turbonetics turbo at some point also.

Still lots of nagging problems before I can start on paint.

- Brakes have a vacum leak

- Right headlight not functioning unless on high beam

- Needs a front end alignment

- T5 leaking out of speedo drive

Hoping the car can make it to this years Z Bash also,

post-22306-14150827932254_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Didnt end up getting the fancy turbo pictured above. ): Stuck with the one I have.

Thought a compilation was in order. Most of the pics are in above, not really in order, but anyway see what ya think of a poor mans resto!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...