IGNORED

First startup after 8 years! Tell me what you think! VIDEO

www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6k4DML_u-s

Background: Immediately before the car was parked 8 years ago, it was run without oil pressure for about 3/4 mile. Getting it running again is sort of a fact-finding mission before the full restoration commences.

Replaced: Most rubber in engine bay, oil, coolant, fuel, new plugs, points, ZTherapy-rebuilt carbs, new fuel filter, thermostat, oil pressure sensor, battery, resealed (POR-15 kit) fuel tank, valves clearanced, new valve cover gasket, etc.

You have one BIG vacuum leak from that copper tube sticking out from the equalizer tube!

Y'know, that's the darndest thing. It's been so long since I removed the emissions gear, I don't remember what used to be there anymore, and somehow had always assumed that was a plug. But I just went out to the garage and ran a screwdriver through to see where it bottomed out, and it went all the way into the balance tube! Maybe I had it capped at some point, but forgot to replace the cap during one of my old carb adventures?

Either way, that getting plugged will be the first thing on the list tomorrow. :D

Wow; I feel dumb. But thanks!

:)

Small diagnostic note: When I pulled the old plugs a few weeks ago, there was a marked difference between plugs 1, 2, 5, 6 and 3, 4. It was like the two "center" plugs were seeing a different mixture than the others. Given the vacuum leak on the balance tube and the design of the intake manifolds, I wonder if the leak's "path" meant that it affected the two center runners more than the outer four? That would account for the shuddering and misfiring and feeling like I had a dead cylinder or two yesterday evening.

That low oil pressure reading is scary.

On a warm engine that's been idling for a while? Where should the needle be?

Use a plastic panel bar to pull up those carb dashpots to keep your fingers out of there. I burned up a finger to a backfire once...

Noted. Thanks!

On a warm engine that's been idling for a while? Where should the needle be?

I'd say 1/5th to a 1/3rd up depending on your wiring. Clean the contact on the pressure sensor. Open up the oil filler (car may stall or idle rough) and see if the external cam oiler is spraying oil on the cam shaft. My external oiler loosened up dropping oil pressure once.