IGNORED

Door jam I.D. plate

Z dreams

Hi everyone, My 72 at some point had the rear quarters replaced, and the build tag left off. I'm wondering what the build date might be.

The Z was sold from Gilmore Cadillac, Pontiac. in Kalamazoo, Michigan, on Sept. 27, 1972. Serial #87265, engine#L24-109944

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Also can I get a new Tag?

Thanks, John

Hi Guys:

Looking at my personal tracking list - where over the years I've recorded every Datsun 240's VIN and Engine number if possible {most of which are not on the public register because the owners didn't want them listed publicly} - I see lots of oddities in reported build dates during the 04 to 06 1972 period.

I can't explain it - but VIN's ordered sequentially during the 3 month period - show up with production dates mixed between 04, 05 and 06 of 72. A few of them are 240Z's that were sold new in Columbia, South America.

Based on both the Original Engine Serial Number - and VIN - I'd say that John's Z would most likely have had an 06/72 Date Of Mfg. Even if the publicaly registered cars would lead one to see it differently.

I believe you can still get a replacement for the Door Jamb Data Tag from Banzai Motorworks

http://www.zzxdatsun.com/catDecals.php

Part ID-05 Late 72 - - but you better ask Mike where "Early" ends and "Late" starts... You may have to FAX him a copy of your Title as well.

Edited by Carl Beck

Is there any possibility of getting a new door jamb plate for my 77? it has been missing since I first purchased the car. Funny thing is the rivets are still there :ermm:

Yes, here. Mike McGinnis is a great guy to do business with IMHO.

I believe that Mike had the door jamb and engine compartment data tags reproduced for 70-72 for the Vintage Z Program. I doubt he did any for the 280Z's. Looking at the Parts Catalog, I see engine compartment data tags listed for the 280Z - but no door jamb data tags.

Nonetheless it wouldn't hurt to call Mike... you never know..