IGNORED

240Z - 280Z Comparisons

Duckman

Duckman, I would sum up the differences between the 240 and 280 more in terms of functionality. The 240 is better as a sports car -- the sort of vehicle you fire up on weekends and go for spirited drives around twisty corners. It's also better as a collector car, because it will always return (somewhat) more value for your time/effort/investment. The 280 is a better daily driver. It's safer, more comfortable, more reliable, more environmentally friendly, and a bit easier on gas. The 280 is more of a GT than a true sports car. It is relatively comfortable on longer road trips. I don't hesitate to drive it longer distances.

BTW, *everyone* disses the park bench bumpers! Geesh! However, I like them. They're emblematic of an era, and the floating front bumper actually contributes positively to the sleek lines of the car. I admit they're more appropriate for cruising in a cool GT than running twisties in a nimble sports car, but they have their place. (I'm not as fond of the rear bumper and have plans to pull mine in a bit.) I'm not saying everyone else is "wrong." I'm simply saying the bumpers *can* be loved! ;)

It's safer, more comfortable, more reliable, more environmentally friendly, and a bit easier on gas.

The doors are beefier on the 280. I didn't have a scale, but picked both of them up and the 280 door was much heavier. So I would imagine there is better side impact protection in the 280. You are pretty much f'd in a t-bone collision in a 240...

Edited by GreenZZZ

The doors are beefier on the 280. I didn't have a scale, but picked both of them up and the 280 door was much heavier. So I would imagine there is better side impact protection in the 280. You are pretty much f'd in a t-bone collision in a 240...

Door beams first appeared on the '73 240Z. Late 240Z and all 260Z doors are noticeably heavier than early 240Z versions.

FWIW, if you've ever driven a bone-stock 240Z, you'd realize that it's a pretty damn good GT as well! It's when you start putting in stiffer springs, dampers, bushings, etc that it becomes more race-car like and less street friendly. All S30s have their place, but the 260Z does a great job of combining some key features of the 240Z and 280Z.