IGNORED

The Hitachi SU some insight required.

That-hurt

Andrew, you may be able to pick up a ratcheting box wrench. A good quality one will have very fine teeth, and will allow you to get into a tight area where clearance and range of motion are restricted, such as by the intake/exhaust manifolds. I don't use them often, but when I need them they are a godsend.

As was stated above, if the two manifolds are of different thickness, the washers need to compensate for it. I ended up grinding down the thick washers to match Their respective contact points.

Andrew, Did you replace the sprung washers when you installed the new carbs? I only ask because I had a heck of a time torquing those rusty originals on the common studs. After the second one didn't seem to torque smoothly I stopped and ordered new hardware and everything went together smoothly.

I also run the 6 into 1 header with a single glass pack supressor,(can't bring myself to call it a muffler) sounds wonderful but it is loud. Check your flange thickness and shim the washers if necessary as stated above by Blue, if the common washers kink it will affect torque values and could cause poor sealing, and God forbid, you could snap a stud. FWIW.

Also the propane torch trick is safe and effective, and you aren't blowing oils and flamable liquid on the headers. Also FWIW.

Hi all

Its all back together again. I have made my own little gas set up to check for leaks, to check it i held the nozzle by the inlet for the carbs and sure enough there was an increase in revs. I then moved the nozzle around each and every bit of hardware on the induction side and no increases in rpm. I am quite satisfied that I do not have any more vacuum leaks.

After he had warmed up enough I reset the timing to 17 degrees BTDC and attacked the carbs balancing them so i had an idle of 700rpm or as near as I can tell as I am using the cars tachometer I have a fairly good ear and it seems about right. I then set the mixture... It still ran lean at 2.5 turns down and the best fastest smooth idle was found at 3.25 turns down more or less equal on both front and back carbs. That is a vast improvement on the original settings.. To double check this I used colortune to look at the actual burn.. at idle it's a little orange but lift the revs a fraction and it immediately burns a bunsen blue on both front and rear. I took her for a small run and she drove very well. I mean just a few hundred yards, over here if you get pulled over they can seize your car if it does not have a current MOT !! So I was quick..

Now she has to be booked in for her MOT annual inspection to get the road worthiness certificate. I do not foresee any problems as in essence it's a new car!

Tell you what.. she gots some looks I can tell you.. I will report back after the MOT..

By the way it's actually stopped raining.. for the first time in a month!

Good Luck with the MOT!

Please let us know what its like driving that Z over there. I have spent two weeks over in the mother land for two separate vacations, and both times, I wish I had my WRX or my Datsun there. The roads available are just brilliant!

Glad you like it over here.. I would much prefer to be in the warm and dry.. so I can get my Z out and have a blast.. We do have to be a bit picky about the roads over here as a lot are in really bad condition and have average speed cameras and other speed traps along their route ostensibly to make the roads safer.. but we know the real reason is to collect more indirect taxation..:sick: any ways back to driving on the UK roads..

If you can find one that still has some tarmac left on it and does not have huge potholes every three feet then you can have some fun.

If you look on google earth and search for snake road in the uk.. this road runs from my home town Sheffield right across the high Peak into Manchester.. its awsome.. Lots of bends and straights all the time you are climbing up to the top of the peaks the views are stunning and some of the drops at the side of the road are very deep to say the least get it wrong and you can kiss your @55 BYe Bye...:rolleyes: The best time to do the road is on a summers morning around 6am there is little or no traffic.. You can really let the car and you have fun. Many roads around my area are proper dirvers roads the the A621 from Owler Bar to bakewell is another road to test you and the car out.. I supose I am lucky really these roads are in pretty good condition and offer a lot in terms of driving challenge and satisfaction. Over the years I have run many classics along these roads and they always bring a big grin to my face. I cannot wait to get the Z on them.. after a 3 year rebuild we are both ready for a good drive..:)..

Thanks for asking..