IGNORED

Gas tank rehab.

siteunseen

I used 1/2 gallon of muratic acid mixed with 1/2 gallon of water and swished around for about 10 minutes then drained and put 1 box baking soda mixed together with 2 gallons of hot water and swished around then drained. Used a leaf blower to dry up the inside then poured in a quart of acetone and swished and shook for a few minutes then hit it with the leaf blower and an air hose. Poured in a quart of Red Kote and rolled all around and still drained out almost a half of the quart. I'll definitely apply a second coat in a day or so. Worked great and was alot easier than I was expecting.

post-24724-14150818517741_thumb.jpg

post-24724-1415081851839_thumb.jpg

post-24724-14150818518965_thumb.jpg

It is of my opinion that to get a good coat and seal is plenty of 'cure time' before fuel is put in it. Mine was on the garage wall for 2 years. I would suggest 'sun curing' for a while if it is going to see fuel soon.

I saved 2L of the acid for future rust removal on nuts, bolts and small parts, very handy.

Bonzi Lon

It will sun dry again today and then I'll put in the other half quart for a second layer Monday or Tuesday. Then it will be sitting for at least a month as my engine is in hundreds of pieces in my spare bedroom. The directions say when you can no longer smell the sealer it's alright to recoat. I noticed this morning it has some runs coming down from the top down the sides. Not very happy with that but I'm hoping it won't cause problems down the road. I want to put a glass filter before the fuel rail also and hopefully not see any pinkish fuel.

Wow......The Muratic acid cleaned it up like new......the rust was so minor and cleaned up so good, I think I would have run it without the sealer. IMO, I wouldn't use a second coat. What does everyone else think? Muratic acid is great for cleaning parts for plating.....full strength for 60 seconds or less.