IGNORED

280Z NEED "ignition relay", cannot find any

restorerestore

As I mentioned, the same thing happens when the key switch Harness is disconnected, early on in the failures when they were random, turn key off/on and it went away. Unplugged key switch from harness and still happened, skewmatics indicate only central item that impacts all this stuff is the Ign Relay on the 1978 280Z, now understand why they only used this PN on one yera.

now understand why they only used this PN on one yera.

How is your understanding clearer?

I mis-wrote earlier. I actually am using a relay from a 1978 parts car that I used to have in my 76, and have a 79 relay for a spare. The part numbers may be different but the functions are the same.

Since you're deep in to the wiring diagrams and have the relay out, have you tried just jumping the relevant pins in the connector? That would clearly tell you if the problem is in some kind of short in the relay or if the problem is elsewhere. You're focused on getting an exact replacement part, but you haven't confirmed the source of the problem. Relays are very simple devices.

Just on outside chance, tried hooking batter back up. Guess what, same error went on WITHOUT relay OR ign switch hooked up. So went back to wiring diagram as for now appears that Ign Relay is NOT the issue. Went from batter out, found on mine there is wire from battery pos to the fuse links, then another from starter to other fuse link, when tape removed it seems like someone added it. Further mess is a white wire at same point on starter as post, bat, other wire to fuse links. When that one touches pos/black wire at terminal, same ole thing happens. Note the way all was hooked up was done by previous owner and looks like black wire to fuses is part of harness. Noted on FMS section on electrics that charge lite gets message from ALT and power from fuse box via a "L" wire, did NOT (yet) see it in the FMS wire diag, but may have missed it. So back to the ole meter and various checks. but with relay out, key harness off, why EFI pump fires up, charge lite on, and brake lite on, getting a bit freaky, more so as at one time the issue solved self with turning key off on a few times. Have yet to find a common issue that runs this stuff when Ign Rely out, key harness out, and such. By the way, do you know the physical location of the call out for starter sol, know which one is ign, but what is the other two, one to right side and other engine side, which is which via FMS? Kind of losing faith in my own checks now as maybe doing something wrong, repeatedly?

• 1 month later...
I am having nearly the same problem! Im pulling my hair out trying to find the problem. Have you had any success?

You might want to start your own thread and describe the symptoms. Be sure to also describe any known modifications and whatever you've done to diagnose and fix the problem. Don't forget to add the year of your car, too.

For now have the thing fixed. I simply started at the point where power goes on to systems, there are TWO wires that go to the inline fuseable links. They seem to have ONE common hook up at starter/battery post. ONE of the two was shorting out to some wire in that harness.

I simply built new wire with TWO leads, ran it from battery to the fuseable links, and ALL is OK. I am now taking that harness apart, and going to try to ID those other wires in the harness. My GUESS, the hot off battery wire (only one of them as other systems behaved fairly normal, but one of them shorted out into a wire in harness that activated the pump, brake light, etc,. When new wiring installed all worked fine, but hesitant to drive it until I find what was going on inside harness. NOTE if you do this fix my way, make sure the OLD wires cut off, the one off battery and the two to links. For now cut them so they cannot touch anything, then covered in ele tape. Want to find what was going on in harness and will post that. Delay in work as other priority(s) like PC pwr supply, graphics boards, etc..

What happens is if you check for one place all the failure can come from you end up with ign relay on 78, it is only common spot or so I thought. Took hours just to put everything back to normal place.Now that pesky harness, it is one that runs wire from battery and two out to the links. Has other wires, will find their function next. This one was a evil little failure, very hard to find but read where others had same, so perhaps other years have power up to links issues?