IGNORED

Motorsport Auto West Coast Nationals 2012

AndysPlit

Could very well be the winner. With "Peer Choice", every owner got one vote, that's it. Theoretically if 20 owners all voted for themselves, you could have had 20 people tied for first. That would be cool I guess. Personally, I never vote and didn't vote in this show. That's not what I want to do at a car show. I want to relax, socialize and spectate, so that's what I did . Actually, I am surprised that I even placed, but glad to get the recognition.

And the more I think about it, the happier I am that the 260Z above got first. Very cool for that owner.

Rich

Ok Rich, If you had voted for me in the 240 class I would have won just like the 260 guy did. It is time for MSA to consider doing a 3 judge panels, plus the peer voting to come up with winners. We have to standardize the judgement of our cars, we need to have a "Bloomington Gold" type level grading of the cars. I could be "Orange Gold" or something like that. The owner could get a certificate from the panel that would be attached to the car and make it more valuable and bring out a larger group of high quality cars along with cars like mine and others. I think making a joke out voting or winning this show is not in the best interest of the hobby. Just my opinion.

Edited by Montezuma

Could very well be the winner. With "Peer Choice", every owner got one vote, that's it. Theoretically if 20 owners all voted for themselves, you could have had 20 people tied for first. That would be cool I guess. Personally, I never vote and didn't vote in this show. That's not what I want to do at a car show. I want to relax, socialize and spectate, so that's what I did . Actually, I am surprised that I even placed, but glad to get the recognition.

And the more I think about it, the happier I am that the 260Z above got first. Very cool for that owner.

Rich

Hmmm...I hear ya. I'm certainly not in it to win myself, but I do vote for the fun of it.

I found the choice for best 280 stock to be interesting, yet a pleasant surprise. It's the car I voted for. Now, with the 260 in question, I just don't know about that. If anything the "peer choice" really opens up the field and all bets are off essentially. I can only imagine what the other owners of the 260 stock class thought. Maybe every other contender won in previous years so it was time to award someone different? Still, I feel the results defy logic. In the end the show was still a blast!

I really like how they had the vendors all set up. And the products they were selling were great. Food was good and fairly priced. That part of the show was done very well. And best of all was all the talk and conversation...it's great talking cars.

I was very interested in the Z's with the LS motors installed, and there were at least 4 at the show. After my roadster project I will be making one of those. The motor fits very well in there and looks great. That would make for a sweet daily driver. And of course I want AC on that as well :)

My biggest beef with the car show is that the car types are scattered all along the block. It's like a big easter egg hunt to find cars in your category. I'm guessing cars closer to the center of the show did better, because that's where most people hung out. And you really have to look at the dash placard because stock and modified is pretty much based on what category the owner wants to put their car in. Motorsport does nothing to ensure that cars are in the correct category in spite of what they say on their website. They are too busy selling product to worry about adherence to car standards.

Ok Rich, If you had voted for me in the 240 class I would have won just like the 260 guy did. It is time for MSA to consider doing a 3 judge panels, plus the peer voting to come up with winners. We have to standardize the judgement of our cars, we need to have a "Bloomington Gold" type level grading of the cars. I could be "Orange Gold" or something like that. The owner could get a certificate from the panel that would be attached to the car and make it more valuable and bring out a larger group of high quality cars along with cars like mine and others. I think making a joke out voting or winning this show is not in the best interest of the hobby. Just my opinion.

I agree.

Edited by AndysPlit

C'mon you guys. How many beat 260's do you see with a cb antenna strapped to the bumper anymore?

I'm sorry I couldn't make the show-I had 2 communions and a birthday party (kind of like 2 turntables and a microphone, but not really) to attend. Unfortunately next year's will be coinciding with the Solvang roadster show, again, so I probably won't be making it then either.

Thanks for posting the pics.

C'mon you guys. How many beat 260's do you see with a cb antenna strapped to the bumper anymore?

I'm sorry I couldn't make the show-I had 2 communions and a birthday party (kind of like 2 turntables and a microphone, but not really) to attend. Unfortunately next year's will be coinciding with the Solvang roadster show, again, so I probably won't be making it then either.

Thanks for posting the pics.

LOL......Yes, you don't see that everyday BUT, if these are the new standards for judging then I'm not sure what a nice "original and unrestored" Z is worth anymore. Not that the upkeep on my Z is for the show, but what about all the hard work and dedication on those that preserve their beloved vehicles? Those are the guys giving the Z a good name these days. I'm all about random and silly, but when it comes to a car show, c'mon fellas.

It was great to see the different setups and ingenuity on what others were doing, but as far as the trophies and votes go, I didn't see too much substance in it and it was a joke (not meant to devalue anyone who actually got trophies, couple of my close friends placed 2nd places). I wish they would be more serious about it though, based on workmanship and taste, which is tough nonetheless and is very subjective.

Still, as Z enthusiasts though, we should be able to draw a line somewhere and distinguish between: beater cars for humor vs. dumping money on a project just to show off vs. a real, built car that other project builders can understand (these would get my vote.)

Not that it matters but my vote went to the black modified 240z with SCCA sticker, I know that car actually gets driven (not just driven), like mine.

Not to bring this topic a "downer" .. but incase anyone didn't know .. but knew Steve McPheeters/President of the Central Valley Z Club?

Steve was attended MSA over the weekend. His navy colored 350Z won 1st Place in the Stock Category. Steve passed away Tuesday (1 May) early morning.

Not to bring this topic a "downer" .. but incase anyone didn't know .. but knew Steve McPheeters/President of the Central Valley Z Club?

Steve was attended MSA over the weekend. His navy colored 350Z won 1st Place in the Stock Category. Steve passed away Tuesday (1 May) early morning.

That is so sad to hear; my prayers go out to his family, friends and fellow club members.

I was very interested in the Z's with the LS motors installed, and there were at least 4 at the show. After my roadster project I will be making one of those. The motor fits very well in there and looks great. That would make for a sweet daily driver. And of course I want AC on that as well :)

I only saw three.....and one of them was mine. :) I guess I missed the fourth one some how. I feel I personally had the best looking LS engine setup of the 3 I saw, but I am biased.

As for the 260z winner, that is Tony D's car. It is a peer vote of JUST 260z owners; 240z and 280z owners do not vote on 260z's. It is a joke amongst them all since there are only ever 8ish 260zs at the event.

I only saw three.....and one of them was mine. :) I guess I missed the fourth one some how. I feel I personally had the best looking LS engine setup of the 3 I saw, but I am biased.

As for the 260z winner, that is Tony D's car. It is a peer vote of JUST 260z owners; 240z and 280z owners do not vote on 260z's. It is a joke amongst them all since there are only ever 8ish 260zs at the event.

Hi Bo,

My favorite LS was the blue one near the end. Engine bay was done very well done.

Thanks for giving us the info on the 260 stock.....glad the guys did that.

Best regards,

Rich

post-19125-14150818735689_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150818736383_thumb.jpg

post-19125-1415081873704_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150818737633_thumb.jpg

Edited by motorman7