IGNORED

Crunched Front End!

MPOWER

:cry:Ohhh uggh!

Well, only after 2 months of ownership, my son got into an accident on the way to school:(

He's fine, just a bump on his nose and no one seriously injured. The only damage was to the front end of the Z.

In fact, the truck he rear ended left after making sure my son was OK. The truck was so big and since the Z is so low, it must have just hit the lower part of the bumper and by the looks of the crushed hood, it had some sort of vertical bar on it.

Lesson learned. But, what was a minor project has turned suddenly into a much bigger one, that's for sure.

In the process of taking off damaged body panels, bumper, grill etc to really assess the damage. I was able to drive it home from the accident scene, so engine was basically untouched and wheels cleared enough to make the turns back home. It looks very fixable.

Needless to say, we are in the market for some front end parts. My son is feverishly starting the rebuild process and searching for replacement parts on the C/G etc...

One before shot and the rest after getting her back home.

Paul

post-16909-14150818359581_thumb.jpg

post-16909-14150818360277_thumb.jpg

post-16909-14150818360502_thumb.jpg

post-16909-14150818360698_thumb.jpg

post-16909-14150818360896_thumb.jpg

post-16909-14150818361093_thumb.jpg

Glad to hear your son is okay and no one was hurt. Rust free good condition body parts are getting very hard to find, at least in TX they are. You are in CA so things may be a little easier out there. As others have said, the radiator core support is going to be the hardest as it will either need to be straightened or cut out entirely and replaced from a donor car.

The car is truly your son's car based on your signature. My .02, Put the repairs on hold, have your son save his money and buy a used Honda Civic or an old truck. If he is driving to school he is either in High School or college. Not saying your son is a bad driver but he is surrounded by many who are. Keep the Z as a toy/weekend car. Let something else take the punishment and abuse of daily use.

Personally, I like the "before" picture better. I did the same thing almost exactly a year ago- in your general area I might add. Just got the car done and I wish I had that year of my life back. Hopefully the core support and the frame are ok. The other items just bolt ons, but finding a good hood, headlight buckets and bumper parts may take some doing. Then you need to match paint.

Keep an eye on Craigslist and if you see something in the LA area let me know and I'll help if I can.

I agree with the comment above that I'd get my kid a safer car to use as a driver.

Thanks for all the positive comments!! We know it will be a slow rebuild process, but will have to be patient and take one step at a time to get her back on the road. Already checking CG for parts. Some local stuff popping up all the time. TLORBER, just happens we are headed to SoCal this Sunday thru Wed.