IGNORED

Lock Question - What Did The Original Factory Key Look Like?

What did the original factory key look like for the Z's? I'm mostly interested in the later 280 years and I know the blanks changed over the years with earlier years being different than later 280 years. Anyone have a key that they know was the original key to come with a 280 when new?

I've been working on the locks for my 280 and I'm nearing completion and I've been thinking that it would be nice to have a fancy factory looking period original key to go along with my nice reworked locks. I've already got aftermarket keys that work great with my locks and I know it's completely esoteric and unnecessary, but I think it would be a nice touch to have an original factory looking new key.

I'd be willing to spill a few unnecessary bucks for the feel good effect.

I've been through ebay, and can't find anything truly conclusive. So, anyone got pictures? Links? Anything?

Thanks BGM.

Interestingly enough, on a completely non-Z related task, I was digging through some old keys at my end this afternoon, and turned up an OEM Datsun key. I've owned two 77 Z's in the past, as well as an early eighties 310 hatch, and I don't know what car this key was for, but I can pretty much guarantee that it was one of those three. I don't remember what the 310 key looked like, but this key has the correct profile for the locks on my current 77.

Here's a pic of the key, and you can see the key code stamped in it, so I assume it's factory, but I can't be sure if it was a Z key, or a 310:

origkey.jpg

Here's the OEM key with some of the aftermarket options.

Left column reading down: OEM, Taylor X7, ILCO 62DU.

Right column reading down: Great More (? number), Axxess 32, HY-KO TR25 (Toyota)

keyoptions.jpg

The Great More key is the ones that you get with the ebay supplied ASP cylinders and locks. The HY-KO TR25 is traditionally a Toyota blank and it would work, but the depth stop shoulder is a little too deep, so you would have to shorten the tip a little to account for that.

siteunseen, Thanks for that pic.

So you're sure that's an original 77 Z factory key, right? So unless they offered different blanks for the same year, my assumption is that the OEM Datsun key that I have here must have been for the 310, not a Z.

Interesting that the head shape for that one is most similar to the "Great More" design.

If you really wanted to go overboard with this idea, find a place that can do laser engraving :DLOL

Haha! That is beyond my threshold for unnecessaryness, and mine is set pretty high!

My intention wasn't to try to recreate the original. I just wanted to buy one. But first, I had to know what my target looked like. :)