IGNORED

Datsun brand in 2014

GreenZZZ

@HS30-H>

I yield that the use of word "merge" was/is not entirely exact. Nippon Sangyo acquired/purchased DAT Motors and with other corporate "blending", entered the automotive market.

And yes, people say "Datsun this" and "Datsun that". And, correct or not, enthusiasts of USA brands usually reference changes and decisions by the marque or division, rather than the parent manufacturer.-Chevrolet vs. GM or Dodge vs. Chrysler.

The core of the point that I was attempting to put forward was that Nissan wasn't leading with a sacrificial name but distancing new products from themselves in an expanding market from perceived post-war prejudices- a point on which we seem to agree somewhat.

"And now people still don't understand. The decision to bring the 'Datsun' brand back for some export markets is for entirely different reasons than it was used in export markets in the first place. There's no direct connection."

Other than FastWoman's comment (repeating an oft- said theory) I must be missing where any posters were connecting any purpose, with similarities or not, to choosing "Datsun" as a brand name with their recent announcement to market in third-world countries.

I also feel that they have missed the benefit of brand loyalty. Lessons of past generations seem to be lost on future generations.

I yield that the use of word "merge" was/is not entirely exact.

"Not entirely exact". I like that. Reminds me of Evelyn Waugh's character Mr Salter replying to Lord Copper. "So Salter, Yokohama is the capital of Japan - yes?". "Up to a point, Lord Copper...".

Other than FastWoman's comment (repeating an oft- said theory) I must be missing where any posters were connecting any purpose, with similarities or not, to choosing "Datsun" as a brand name with their recent announcement to market in third-world countries.

You don't think they have a purpose, or you just don't know? Thing is, they've been talking about this in Japan for years now. It's not an American thing, it's not a European thing. It's most definitely not a British thing ( nimwits over here taunt GT-R owners about their "Datsun". It's seen as a pejorative ). It's about "emerging markets". Now that they've remembered that they were Nissan all along, they are diving into the dressing-up chest and popping up as 'Infiniti' and 'Datsun' to cater for different sectors. It's just going to lead to more confusion if it's not handled properly.

It's already looking a little muddled...