IGNORED

Tailight garnish pics

uras1

I'm taking mine to the paint shop next week to put under the spectrometer(?) thingy. As I have a few patches on the back that havent seen sun light. definataly a metallic. Not sure if a mono-metallic or just a satin/matt clear. All the real ones i've seen (good resto's) seem to have a dull finish metallic. Can let you know the paint code when I get it.

Here is a response I got from Alan T. awhile back. Thought i would post it for the record.

However, I'm afraid I can't help with the grill and rear panel colour. The factory just called this 'Black', but it certainly seems to have been a little bit more like a very dark gunmetal. I don't think its a straight satin / matt black at all, and something like a very dark Anthracite with a fair bit of matting agent would be closest.

I can understand why you'd want to get it 'right' ( me too! ) but to be honest almost all the genuine C110 GT-Rs left in Japan these days have had that pesky black repainted at least once if not several times, so there's hardly any chance to see an 'original' finish colour anyway. Even if there was some original paint, it would have faded and sun bleached to hell by now anyway. Even the two KPGC110s in the Nissan Heritage Collection have been repainted. The red one with noticeably greyish grille and rear panel.

The concensus amongst the guys I trust in Japan is that the original colour was a slightly greyish tint of black with a dull finish, and that there was no quoted factory code, and no 'Touch Up' paint quoted in the manuals. If I were you I'd go with something that is NOT just a straight matt / satin black, and give it a slight tinge of bronze or dark grey. It's not quite metallic, but it seems to have some kind of metallic sheen to it in certain lights. I just use BMW 'Anthracite' or Vauxhall / GM 'Anthracite' and use a lot of matting agent in the paint. If you spray it quite 'dry' it seems to help.

If it's any consolation, I don't think anyone out there would have the confidence to tell you that it was 'wrong' anyway. You can see GT-Rs in Japan all lined up, and they all look like different colours in the sunlight....