IGNORED

bought a Z

caltanian

• 2 weeks later...

Well the hunt for parts continues, and tinkering on it is a hell of a time.

So far sourced some strut tower bars to get rid of the body roll, some new interior trim, exterior badge parts, some worn, but original seats i'll get recovered and foamed. Also found strut and steer assemblies for left and right to get rid of the issue with the ball joints. New weather stripping is on its way, and a few of the other parts i need for some of the small stuff.

Turns out i also have the hand throttle, which while its not connected now, i may try to connect again later. I hear this is a rare option.

I'm doing the best i can to keep the parts correct for the period, and when and where i can, series 1 as well. The more i learn, the more I feel i have the responsibility to the vehicle to make her what she once was. Slowly buy surely, work continues. I Love the vehicle, and love getting to drive it.

The paint will stay that way for a while, while I work out the mechanical stuff. But yes, the red is the factory color.

Also. There's a clunk on throttle off... Yes, I'll be replacing the bushings all over the vehicle, but what should i be looking for for that clunk?

If it's what I think it is - here is the fix - there are many posts and threads on this but my CLUNK has never returned.........by the way - welcome to the site!

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?35995-Ron-Tyler-Differential-Mount&highlight=ron+tyler

Edited by Travel'n Man

It was NEVER considered a "low-tech" or any kind of cruise control by Datsun/Nissan or anyone who understood the basic mechanism. This was a standard feature in the Series I cars, which was removed by US Dealers on many (if not most) of the cars that arrived with it installed. The Series II did not have the feature.

Think of it as putting a brick on the accelerator pedal while driving, it won't automatically stop accelerating whether you push the brake or the clutch.

The purpose of it was to allow the driver to give the engine a bit of Throttle, while backing off the Choke, after starting the engine at Higher Altitudes or Low Temperatures.

This way the engine could warm up without the extra gas that the Choke would permit.

One of the main reasons the dealers were quick to remove the Hand Throttle from the Series I console vehicles was due to drivers using the Hand Throttle as a cruise control and getting into trouble with it. Think of the liability to Datsun/Nissan because of the improper use of it.

Like any tool, if you know how to use it and what it's intended for, it works great. If you mis-use it, then you have problems.

2¢

E

Well it is currently not connected. Just found it to be a nice touch. There are a few reasons to connect it, and many to not.

The hunt for series one parts continues. Managed today to find a series 1 steering wheel with center cap.

When and where i can, series 1 goes into the build.

Edited by caltanian