IGNORED

UK, NZ, AUS, Other "DATSUN" or "DOTSUN"

240260280z

Most Canadians I know pronounce DAT as "DAT" which is like "RAT" .Most Americans I know seem so pronounce DAT as "DOT".

How do the rest of the English speaking regions pronounce it?

FYI I also say Mazda with Ma like Macaroni but my friends in Upper Canada say Ma like "Maw" as in Mom.

Edited by Blue

NZ pronunciation is DAT like RAT CAT BAT THAT SPAT

Also NISSAN in NZ is pronounced like MISS ANN. Not the American pronunciation NEESARN.

MAZDA sounds like MAZDA as in JAZZda

Not MAWZDA or MARZDA

I wonder how the makers say the names?:classic:

Edited by olzed

Almost sounds like an east coast vs west coast thing or north, south. When I watch "The New Yankee Workshop" Norm say "draw" instead of drawer. My father's best friend from Austrialia says "Maak" instead of Mark. Just a different accent. And we do not say "NEESARN"!

I say "KNEE-SON". And not all North Americans say "GIT R DON" (I HATE THAT). I say "MAHZDA" not "MARZDA" or MAWZDA".

I pronounce Datsun as "DOT-SUN"

Edited by grantf

Just leave out the "R". Not Everyone in the US sounds like a gun toot'n hillbilly. Well maybe "All you Aussies an new Zebraslanders dowen thar ma not think'en so much, I meen arn not ya all the same be'n down thar an all yuck yuck".

Thanks for the stereotype

Edited by grantf

^^^

Kiwi's talk different again, just ask for Fish & Chips and you'll know why.

In Oz Dat is Dat, think of That with a D instead of a T, or RAT with a D.

Nissan is Niss-anne.

Of course if you're from Queensland, West Australia or Tassie then it might be pronounced very differently again.

I remember reading somewhere that Nissan wanted it to be pronounced "Dot-sun" like the Japanese flag, the red dot with the sun rays was easier to associate with for it's American audience. But they were always worried about the name and the flag going together because of the war, but after the car came over and was succesful, that's when they changed the name is Nissan, which they thought would be to difficult to pronounce for the American public in the beginning and wasn't very "catchy"