IGNORED

215/60 or 225/60 on 14x7

Peter260

ignoring cost (assuming all options are the same cost), which is better on a 30mm lowered s30 on a 14x7 wheelset with zero offset.

better on 2 levels:

- handling

- looks (more importantly!)

options

- 215/60/14 all round

- 225/60/14 all round

- 215/60/14 front, 225/60/14 rear

does skinnier front not work in an s30s favour for handling? experences?

looking at BF goodich ta (white letters) in all outcomes.

thanks,

Peter

post-13827-14150817514853_thumb.jpgI put 205/70/14 Ta's on mine all around because I wanted to rotate the tires when the backs start to wear. I also wanted to make the wheel and tires to look better in the wells. My car is all stock for the suspension.

post-13827-14150817514456_thumb.jpg

From a handling perspective I would use the same size tires all around. The Z understeers; smaller from tires will make this worse.

I'll second that one. It's a very good point, let alone the tire rotation factor, although I suppose if one never drives the car hard they'll never tell the difference.

I had 14X6 mags with 225s and then switched to 16X7 Panas with 225s. Front and rear fit without rubbing in both cases. Take note, however, that I'm using a Xenon air dam up front and not the stock valence. I believe that's where the rubbing issue tends to be.

With the lowered suspension I think the 225 will rub up front, I run 235's and they rubbed before I went with the stiffer springs. The 205 fronts and 225 or 235 T/A's in the rear will fit and I don't think the under steer will be worse than the stock tire size was. Beware the T/A's, they are the easiest to find in these sizes in 14 inch, but they are a PITA to ballance and they are notorious for being out of round. Excperience talking here, read this http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?43905-Death-to-the-death-wobble&highlight=death+wobble

I had 14X6 mags with 225s and then switched to 16X7 Panas with 225s. Front and rear fit without rubbing in both cases. Take note, however, that I'm using a Xenon air dam up front and not the stock valence. I believe that's where the rubbing issue tends to be.

I forgot to mention, this is with the car lowered by about 1.5 inches.

We have run 225/50-15 tires on 15 x 7 wheels on our car without any rubbing. We have Tokico lower springs and have the original valance. With wheels that have an offset of about -1 inch (toward the center of the car) we need a 1/4 inch spacer in the front to prevent rubbing on the spring seat. With wheels that have a zero offset we do not need the spacer. With a 205/50-15 we do not need the spacer with either wheel.

thanks all for your responses. after much deliberation i am going to first hunt for 215/60 all round, and see how i go.

- decided same front and back - probably the best thing

- 225 would probably rub up front from the above so best leave some room in the there by going to a 215;

BFs are the likely outcome simply because they are one of few!

cheers,

Peter

Peter,

One last input before you make your final decision.

I run old 14 x 6.5 Appliance rims and just recently got new tires. Went through some of the same gyrations on tire sizes and ended up settling on 225 60 R14. Went with the same BF Goodrich tires you are considering and it all worked out really well.

My suspension is lowered by maybe one inch but otherwise is stock. As you can see from the attached pictures, there is plenty of clearance and I have no rubbing issues so far.

Hope this helps.

Mike.

post-19584-14150817557457_thumb.jpg

post-19584-14150817556497_thumb.jpg

post-19584-14150817556804_thumb.jpg