IGNORED

Weber or Mikuni carbs for 240z

wd40

WD

I don't own either but from what I understand any type of side draft carburettor that utilizes an accelerator pump is easier to start than a carburettor that dosen't. The optimum solution is to employ a choke mechanism like the SU's employ. BTW I own a set of 47MM OER's. When I install them I will let you know how they cold climate start.

I don't drive my car in the cold weather - (once it snows and the state salts the road I'm done for the season). If I went into my garage to start my car it would take a few paddles of the accelerator, a few cranks of the starter, and she would fire right up. I was afraid I would miss the manual choke (like on the SU's) but I don't. You do have to work the accelerator a little more than you would have with the SU's once the car does fire up but not having a manual choke is not a big deal.

Hope that helps some............

I don't think side draft carbs have chokes. My mikunis have a cold start circuit but it does not function as a choke would. As the previous posts state, I find a couple of pumps on the accelerator gets them to start very easily without the cold weather circuit hooked up.

I am fabricating billet linkage and a billet choke link for triple sidedrafts right now. The linkage is in the classified section. The choke link is in development, and will be available in a week or so. The starter circuits definitely help the engine fire up and establish a smooth fast idle, even in moderately cold weather.

IMG0127-M.jpg

Edited by cygnusx1

The Weber DCOE and Mikuni PHH both have cold start enrichment circuits (no choke). It depends how cold it is when you drive your car, but around here, I don't need the cables hooked up on my Webers. For me, it takes three stabs of the throttle, one or two turns of the engine, and some blips to keep it going before it settles into an idle.

Either Weber or Mikuni is fine, but Weber parts will be easier to find (and maybe a bit cheaper?).

Maybe it's just me, but I like that the factory choke lever still has a purpose. LOL

P1080267-M.jpg

I think the Mikunis have an externally adjustable accell pump or float level, which sounds like it might be an ease-of-tuning advantage over the Webers. Functionally, they are pretty much clones for the most part. Weber jets fit Mikuni carbs if I am not mistaking. I am not sure whether it's easier to find a Weber expert, or a Mikuni expert when you need help, but I would imagine that one expert would know how to work on the other anyhow. As far as US suppliers, and books for dummies, Weber wins that one.

Mikuni Info: http://www.mikunipower.com/PHH01.htm

Edited by cygnusx1