IGNORED

Quick Revving L28

Ted.

Why would I be insecure? I simply explained why you were wrong after you called me a bench racer, implying I didn't know what I was talking about and I responded in the same manner. Don't dish it out if you can't take it. You weren't trying to give me practical, real world advice, you were telling me what would make more power, which if you would read, isn't the point of the motor. So in this case, you're advice is completely contradictory of the type of motor this is, so yes, its unwanted. The entire reason the transmission I'm planning on is stronger is BECAUSE its the late transmission. The early 5 speed had 5th and reverse sharing the same fork, instead of the later where they each had their own, but clearly you knew that because you're a mechanical engineer, right?

If you're not going to give any advice or insight on the engine I'VE proposed (not the one you think I should build), then don't comment. If you'll notice, Zed Head explained something wrong with my initial idea, and I accepted it and corrected it. Its not ignorance or attitude, its you. If you'll notice, Kenobi posted relative advice and I accepted it and responded as such. Its not ignorance and attitude, its you.

When you can be a big boy and have an adult conversation, come on back.

There will always be a small number of people on these forums that will try to make themselves feel better and all knowing when they have 'done it all before' and 'thats old hat'.

We all know the benifits of long stroke and big bore. This guy wants to do something different without spending a ton of dollars.

What I can't understand is why, when there is an enthusiastc young guy, crazy about our hobby, who wants to have a go at building an engine of his own, that doesn't quite fit what you all regard as the best way to make a performance engine, someone virtually calls him a wanker. Yawn.

I'm seeing if I can just make it easier on myself and pick up a 70' L24 long block(E31 casting) and an 81-83 non turbo L28(F54/P79) long block, as it gives me most of the parts I would need. Granted, these would all be checked and machined if needed. Then its just finding an L26 cam, new bearings, rings, etc.

Thanks, Brian, I really appreciate that!

Edited by Ted.

Really guys, I think you need to cut Ted some courtesy here. Very few posts, but a well thought out question and it's obvious he has done his homework. He was specific in his question and knows Z motors, he didn't ask something dumb like"what do is the timing set at on the L24". He searched!!!!

"yawn"-really, I agree with Ted here, not everyone is building race engines, but we are all about learning something different. With your wealth of knowledge John you could have easily been more constructive.

Why would I be insecure? I simply explained why you were wrong after you called me a bench racer, implying I didn't know what I was talking about and I responded in the same manner. Don't dish it out if you can't take it. You weren't trying to give me practical, real world advice, you were telling me what would make more power, which if you would read, isn't the point of the motor. So in this case, you're advice is completely contradictory of the type of motor this is, so yes, its unwanted. The entire reason the transmission I'm planning on is stronger is BECAUSE its the late transmission. The early 5 speed had 5th and reverse sharing the same fork, instead of the later where they each had their own, but clearly you knew that because you're a mechanical engineer, right?

If you're not going to give any advice or insight on the engine I'VE proposed (not the one you think I should build), then don't comment. If you'll notice, Zed Head explained something wrong with my initial idea, and I accepted it and corrected it. Its not ignorance or attitude, its you. If you'll notice, Kenobi posted relative advice and I accepted it and responded as such. Its not ignorance and attitude, its you.

When you can be a big boy and have an adult conversation, come on back.

Well by your logic: if you can't take the comments, then don't post. Not everyone is here to stroke your ego about YOUR fantastic engine. Your typical testosterone-laden response, and an inability to take constructive criticism shows your insecurity. You are so blinded by it, that you dont even see what I'm trying to tell you, and instead you throw a fit because someone else's advice doesn't match the picture in your head. I never called you anything, nor did I put-down your wonderful idea. I didn't tell you NOT to build your engine, nor NOT to swap gears around. You can do as you see fit, I was just trying to enable you to make an informed decision. Sorry for trying to help.

Wait for your maturity level to catch up, then we can talk. Re-read my posts with an open mind first, as you clearly misunderstood the vast majority of what was written.

There will always be a small number of people on these forums that will try to make themselves feel better and all knowing when they have 'done it all before' and 'thats old hat'.

We all know the benifits of long stroke and big bore. This guy wants to do something different without spending a ton of dollars.

What I can't understand is why, when there is an enthusiastc young guy, crazy about our hobby, who wants to have a go at building an engine of his own, that doesn't quite fit what you all regard as the best way to make a performance engine, someone virtually calls him a wanker. Yawn.

:rolleyes:

Here is the premise for his engine build:

I love the torque out of the L28, but what I really like is the rev happy L24. I figure why not try to mesh the two? There have been plenty of L series hybrids over the year, but I don't think I've ever seen one like what I'm proposing, which makes me think I may have found buried treasure. I want that perfect symmetry of displacement and throttle response that everyone loves. So, here is the build that I am proposing.

My response detailed how he can achieve the feel of the "rev happy L24" with less time, expense and struggle, along with better performance. Is that a terrible thing to propose? Clearly, his goal is to build a one-of-a-kind "buried treasure" with performance taking a back seat to how rare this engine is going to be. That's just fine, go ahead. As I've stated, if the goal is to have an exercise in putting an engine together, by all means do what you want. However, don't mistake it as an improvement to actual performance when compared to a plain-jane L28 done right.

That's the whole point, and if he stated his original goal as to build his own engine just for fun and bragging rights then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Well by your logic: if you can't take the comments, then don't post. Not everyone is here to stroke your ego about YOUR fantastic engine. Your typical testosterone-laden response, and an inability to take constructive criticism shows your insecurity. You are so blinded by it, that you dont even see what I'm trying to tell you, and instead you throw a fit because someone else's advice doesn't match the picture in your head.

I never called you anything, nor did I put-down your wonderful idea. I didn't tell you NOT to build your engine, nor NOT to swap gears around. You can do as you see fit, I was just trying to enable you to make an informed decision. Sorry for trying to help.

Wait for your maturity level to catch up, then we can talk. Re-read my posts with an open mind first, as you clearly misunderstood the vast majority of what was written.

Everything was fine until you copped an attitude when you got upset that I disagreed with your first post in this thread, and I retaliated as such. I'm not asking anyone to stroke my ego about the engine. There is a difference between giving constructive criticism and being close minded. You did imply that I am a bench racer and that I am an 'internet engineer'

Don't get into all the bore-stroke, rod-stroke, piston speed, rod angle, internet bench racing. You are not building an F1 engine.
I had to resist from quoting your phrase in my post: "this is an exercise in internet engineering masturbation"

I understood everything you were saying, I even agreed I was wrong in one instance, but you seemed to focus more on the fact that I disagreed in the first place. Your proposal defeats the purpose of the engine I want to build. I know I can make an L28 do the same thing, I'm fully aware. The fact of the matter is, in order for it to do rev as fast as I want it to, I would need lighter internals, which would defeat the purpose of using stock parts and ultimately the build itself.

The fact is that you think by bashing on someone else's concept, then claiming that they are only wanting someone to stroke their ego when they disagree with you shows YOUR maturity.

My response detailed how he can achieve the feel of the "rev happy L24" with less time, expense and struggle, along with better performance. Is that a terrible thing to propose? Clearly, his goal is to build a one-of-a-kind "buried treasure" with performance taking a back seat to how rare this engine is going to be. That's just fine, go ahead. As I've stated, if the goal is to have an exercise in putting an engine together, by all means do what you want. However, don't mistake it as an improvement to actual performance when compared to a plain-jane L28 done right.

The problem is, you only seem to acknowledge performance in terms of power, which in motorsports, is an incredibly small area in comparison. To get the feeling I want with the L28, it would cost more. (See; "My old racing 3L had a LD28 crank and it ran to 8,000 rpm regularly and would rev faster then the Autometer Tach could keep up."). I understand with light weight components I can achieve freer revving, but not to the extent that I want, which you can't seem to grasp. If I just wanted a freer revving L28, this topic wouldn't have even come up.

Edited by Ted.