IGNORED

turn signals or fuse box broken?

mattchew

hey the ive never posted on here but i was hopin someone could help me out. the other day i was driving my 72 240z and i forgot to secure my battery. when i went around a corner it fell on the engine. grounded out and melted my positive terminal. I thought it was gonna have big problems. but everything still works except for my turn signals. Flick the switch up or down nothing happens. it isnt getting any power to the top two fuses on the right side. the ones that say lights L and lights R. i also changed out the flasher and still nothing. Anyone know where i should go from here?

Edited by mattchew

You are crossing your circuits. The two fuses on the right are your headlight fuses. The left and right headlights are fused separately. The turn signals are powered through the ignition fuse. It's the 3rd fuse on the left.

You have a lot of inspecting of your wiring to do. About 16 years ago, I made the same boneheaded mistake. I had to splice in 3 feet of wiring in the engine harness to replace what burned up.

We had that happen to our Z as well. The wiring and battery survived ok but the oil dip-stick got melted into two separate pieces.

The flasher for the turn signals is on the left side of the steering column. If the brake lights work then the problem is likley the flasher. They are powered from the same fuse. Another thing to check is the bulbs. Some flashers are load dependant and don't flash when a bulb burns out to alert you to the problem.

thank you guys. so its still not working... my ignition fuse is good, and my turn signal indicator is working.(i checked it with a test light) i replaced the corrent flasher does anyone know if the is supposed to be power going through the flasher or is it just a ground? and the brake lights and hazzards work. im about to check the front bulbs.

Wow, a battery unfastened is very dangerous. I once had a battery explode on a tractor. I accidently shorted the terminals with the engine running at full revs. I had lifted the metal lid covering the battery, and dropped it on the terminals. Big explosion, and battery acid everywhere.:stupid::stupid: None on my face luckily.

thank you guys, i got them to work. i dont really understand it though. they werent working then i turned it off, turned it back on pumped the brakes a few times to check the brake lights again and the turn signals just started working again. kinda wierd. im thinking maybe my brake lights switch or something?