IGNORED

The great TEXAS Z Car (and foreign Car) rally - 2011

Zedyone_kenobi

My wife wanted to go to the Christmas event in Fredericksburg, so we jumped in her GLK 350 and headed that way early yesterday morning. We ran through light rain until about 15 miles from Fredericksburg. Then the sky opened up to a pretty blue. We looked around downtown, had lunch at the Diner at the Hanger Hotel and were back in Austin by 2:30. Looks like a nice place for an event.

WEll it turns out I am blessed I canceled.

I had to rush my dad to the ER Friday when I should have been out of town as he had a hard time breathing. He has renal cell carcinoma. Spent most of the night with him.

Sometimes things happen for a reason. I am just so relieved I was here to take him...

Well despite the threat of bad weather, my wife and I did make it to Fredericksburg for the weekend and had a blast. We did encounter rain both on the drive there as well as the drive back to Austin, but as Burl reported earlier, Saturday turned out to be a great day. It was a mix of sun and clouds but not a drop of rain until late in the evening. We ended up doing about an 80 mile drive around the Willow City Loop, up to Enchanted Rock park and finally back to Fredericksburg where we grabbed a few late PM cocktails and did some Xmas shopping. The drive was awesome. Great roads for the Z and I don't think we saw more than 6 cars the entire time, so we basically had the roads to ourselves. On top of that, my Z ran awesome. I had just finished installing a new set of Webers and was a little worried about the status of the tune, but as it turned out I had them dialed in perfectly. I can't remember when the car ran this well.

Also, the hotel was fantastic, especially if you are into WWII planes. It is actually very convenient that the hotel is located about 3-4 miles from downtown as it avoids all of the traffic on Main Street, which I suspect was even busier than normal given the holiday shopping. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful and the atmosphere is very ecclectic. The Diner next door is the same way and in fact you feel like you are walking back into the 50's when you enter. Great service, very friendly people, and good food on top of it all. In the end we both felt this was a great venue for a future event and are already looking forward to a return trip in the not too distant future.

I'm also very sorry to hear about your father Stephen, but I want to thank you for taking the initiative to pull this together. I was really looking forward to meeting all of you but I guess that will just have to wait for the next event. I will be very happy to help pull something together for the next time and would definitely vote for the Hangar Hotel and Fredericksburg again. There are still a lot of roads waiting for us and our Z's in this area.

Mike.

That is great, and I was hoping to hear that type of description of the place. I am looking ahead at the calendar to see when we can reschedule this. I am dying to driving in the Z, but my time is spent at work and at the hospital these days. I hope you took some pictures Mike! Thanks for being the brave one who did not let a little rain scare you off!

• 2 weeks later...

this may be the thing to spark my interest in my 72 again - sorry I didnt read all the posts so I just read the first few and skipped to the last page

Do I understand you will plan again event or fo next year? - I worked in Houston and Dallas for 2 years and loved that time - both my wife and I would love to get back for an extended road trip there

regards Davis - Ontario Canada

• 3 weeks later...

Before I post it in the general classifieds... Does anyone want to buy my 280zx Turbo diff? I have the diff, CV shafts and can remove the stub axles and nuts from the control arms if you want them. I travel TX for work so I can possibly deliver to guys in east Texas, Austin, San Antonio, I live in the Houston area. 160k on car, diff spins fine. Not sure what it is worth. It is a R200 with 3.54 ratio. Car was an automatic.

• 3 months later...