IGNORED

The great TEXAS Z Car (and foreign Car) rally - 2011

Zedyone_kenobi

Okay, I have been toying with this idea in another thread for a while now and I have some ideas floating around. Since I am not aware of any regional forums I am putting this here.

I am trying to organize a classic car getaway in the hill and wine country of Texas. Think Fredericksburg.

A few things to note about this.

This IS a family friendly event. Spouses are welcome and encouraged.

This IS an event where classic car lovers get together to to share stories, and just hang out.

This IS NOT a competitive timed event. NO stage or sector times.

This IS NOT an event where every second of every day is mapped out for you.

My outline is this so far. This will take place in November/December time frame THIS YEAR.

I am thinking of picking a 'staging location' that has the following characteristics:

Bed and Breakfast, or moderately priced hotel (think between 100-200/night)

Large well lit parking lot to keep classic cars safe and to park trailers for those coming a long way.

Great scenic drives with interesting destinations within 30 min to an hour away.

Good food and entertainment close by to gather and talk about that days escapades.

Decent shopping near by for those who want to pick up an item or two

Away from a congested part of a large city where directions and parking can really be bad and/or confusing.

Close to a reputable garage or mechanic where repairs can be made

Close to a reputable parts house. (NAPA, Car Quest, Autozone, etc)

I have been thinking the hill country somewhere outside of Austin at first, but now I am leaning toward the Frederiskburg, TX. It checks more of the boxes.

My plan is to make this a 3 day, 2 night affair.

One cruise route will be organized per day, and it will be voluntary of course.

The rest of the time people can go as they please and see sights as they wish. Folks can pair up with their friends or not.

Think Casual. I am hoping to get enough attendance that a makeshift carshow can happen one evening. Probably the second night.

Possible locations are places like:

http://www.hangarhotel.com/index.html

This looks like a fun place which is car AND car show friendly. It has nice accommodations and seems very friendly and interesting. I love old airplanes so this is good for me. :)

I will begin a tentative list of attendees here.

Zedyone_kenobi

Please PM me if you are interested in this.

Oh, man, I wish I could be there. Are you sure you want to do this in Nov/Dec? Springtime in the hill country would get ME all excited. I miss the endless fields of wildflowers. I'm not driving from Virginia to join y'all, but I'm just saying...

Oh, man, I wish I could be there. Are you sure you want to do this in Nov/Dec? Springtime in the hill country would get ME all excited. I miss the endless fields of wildflowers. I'm not driving from Virginia to join y'all, but I'm just saying...

You know...... That's not a bad idea. I think we should consider doing this more than once a year if all goes well this winter.

Agreed. I am sure I will totally screw something up and forget to plan something or I will get lost and end up in some other state, but the more we try this the more we learn.

I totally understand how hard it is to get off work for something like this, and lets face it money is not just falling off trees for most of us.

Frank, I have no posted on there, as I wanted to keep it to CLASSIC Z's. I do not mean to come across as a snob but I find a younger crowd usually drives the new Z's and they tend to be the ones who do burnouts and get us all thrown out.

I would not mind inviting a few british car clubs to join us. A few classic Triumpsh or MG's would make this more colorful.

I would entertain the idea of putting this off until spring, but there are so many events during that time and they are quality events. LIke the Bluebonnet run. I would hate to make somebody miss that. Keeping this in Nov/Dec, should mean cooler weather, but not too cold. THis is Texas we are talking about.

I like those guys in the Houston Z club. They have opened their arms to me. I think I may have to take a chance and invite them. They have some stand up folks in that club. Just like Frank!

I am not to big into facebook Frank. I barely even use it. If you would like to post a link to it you are welcome. Or send me a link to their site and I will post a link to their facebook. I guess you can do that. Again, I just do not have the time for mybook or facepage usually.

I keep digging around to try to find some great roads around the hotel. I will post them and we can decide on a club rally route in the coming weeks.

http://www.hillcountrycruising.com/the3s.html

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/routes/SouthWest/TX/TX_3.shtml

http://www.austinexplorer.com/Locations/ShowLocation.aspx?LocationID=1712

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/7819