IGNORED

SU Reassembly Step-by-Step [Part 1 Tear Down /Torn n Tattered /Worse for Wear n Tear]

240260280z

• 4 months later...

Am a new owner of a 260, car isn't here yet but roundtops are so I am going thru them right now, this article is perfect for me

I have pulled one apart (I am smart enough to keep one together until I get this one put back together.....)

It looks as PO had played with it but didn't quite get it right, nozzles were struck, bolts and screws loose in different places ect.

Anyway question is:

Note 2: The black insert next to the needle is an inserted stand-off that prevents the piston from sealing against the bridge. This and the centre groove allow air to flow across the bridge when the piston is down

On my 72 carbs this stand off is flush with the piston top (bottom) should it be and is that a problem?

Thanks

Bill

Hi Bill,

It is fractions of an inch in height (proud). You should be able to see a thin line of light when you back light the carb, open the throttle valve then peer from the front.

attachment.php?attachmentid=47194&d=1312729486

Another check is to drop the piston, it is not a complete metal-metal smash due to the plastic insert, it is more of a clunk.

Edited by Blue

• 3 months later...

I'm just rebuilding my '72 SU carb. I bought Just SU DVD and flowing instruction for adjustment, ripping parts. However, written ands bunch of screenshots on this thread is really useful while rebuilding SU.

Thank you Blue.

By the way, I have question for float adjustment. On the ZTheraphy Just SU video, they use different valve from the original one.

The original float bowl valve is using sticking up tip value and ZTheraphy float bowl value is boll rolling valve like below.

post-25433-14150819383758_thumb.jpg

Just SU video explain that need to keep consistent distance of 9/16 (.55") from the lid to the float.

post-25433-14150819383944_thumb.jpg

With original float bowl valve, I would like to find out how high is good for the adjustment.

In other word, how much pushing tips of the valve will start dripping fuel to the bowl.

post-25433-14150819384711_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have suggestion?

Thanks,

tamo3

post-25433-14150819384206_thumb.jpg

post-25433-1415081938445_thumb.jpg

Take the valve out, blow through the end that screws into the cap, push on the valve end with your finger until you start to blow through. Learn on/off threshold position by experimenting with finger. You can also blow into the fuel inlet pipe too with a piece of tubing attached with the thing still assembled and press the valve with your finger until you hear and feel it open. Then you can see better where the tip position is when it opens.

Thanks zKars.

I was looking for any data point, common knowldge of the threshold of the original sticking tip valve, like Ztheraphy has for their own boll roller valve instead of actually testing valve.

I will try it out.

Thanks,

tamo3

I search more and I found out good info.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/91432-su-identification-parts-wanted/page__p__865408__fromsearch__1#entry865408

http://www.zcarz.us/TechnicalInformationPageCarburation.htm

Just realized that front and rear carb the float level is different for '72 SU carb. Auto and manual transmission is also different float level.

More and more I learn from this site.

Thanks,

Tamo3

• 10 months later...