IGNORED

Modern material for making new interior firewall insulator?

240260280z

Have you seen the reproduction firewall insulators that Classic Datsun Mortorsports offers. Depending on the degree of originality you are looking for, for $140, it looks pretty original, has insulation backing, and all of the correct cutouts. Don't know what the material is but may be worth checking out.

Dan

I think I found something: Garage Guard by Oil-Dri at Pepboys. It is pretty tough rubbery material with one fuzzy material side and one black rubber side which is close in appearance to the original 240z part's rubbery side. I should be able to glue a thin backing on it to strengthen it.... maybe even clean up the old and glue the two together.

There was also a foam anti-fatigue mat that would work but it was light gray and I would not want to paint it.

240dkw Dan, I'll also look for the art board material. Sounds like it may work well with the rubber.

attachment.php?attachmentid=47477&d=1313028310

post-7641-14150815900392_thumb.jpg

Mjr45 sorry for the delay in getting back. I would NOT use the foam carpet padding. I agree with you that it would crumble after a while. The other type of padding looks like old string,fabric and other stuff amalgamated together. This stuff is somewhat fire resistant but not fireproof.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I have more accurate measurements, I am making two variants of the firewall insulation panel:

1. Foam board (as per Dan's excellent recommendation above; BIG THANKS DAN!) with the jute-backed oil-proof fabric glued to the front.

2. High density foam with the jute-backed oil-proof fabric glued to the front.

I think both will work well. The foam board is firmer and fits well (when I tested the template), however the high density foam seems closer in thickness compared to the original and it will soundproof and insulate better.

I also sourced correct size nickle snaps that I will secure with ss hardware to replicate the floor mat snaps on the original.

attachment.php?attachmentid=48029&d=1315701203

Here is the freshly cut foam board being glued to the fabric that is very similar to the original.

There is a small square of the high density foam being test glued on the upper right to see if the glue eats it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=48030&d=1315701204

Here is the original template and the high density foam cut out along with scraps.

attachment.php?attachmentid=48031&d=1315701205

post-7641-14150816191607_thumb.jpg

post-7641-14150816191792_thumb.jpg

post-7641-14150816191924_thumb.jpg

The HD Foam seems to be the ticket. THANKS JIM!

The rubber outer surface and the high density foam backing bonded very well (better than the foam board). IFor the record, I used Loctite Spray Adhesive 200.

The flexibility of this combination seems to be very much like the original. I'll put a layer of foil on the back as per Jim's suggestion.

attachment.php?attachmentid=48059&d=1315776592

Here is a detail of how well the outer rubber/fuzzy layer has bonded to the grey foam.

attachment.php?attachmentid=48058&d=1315776590

post-7641-14150816203541_thumb.jpg

post-7641-14150816203676_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...